45. The Chief Registrar and the registrars are not personally liable for anything they do or omit to do in good faith under this Act.
Registration, Listing and Recording
Marginal note:Mandatory registration of vessels
46. (1) A vessel must be registered under this Part if it
(a) is not a pleasure craft;
(b) is wholly owned by qualified persons; and
(c) is not registered, listed or otherwise recorded in a foreign state.
Marginal note:Obligation of owner
(2) Every owner of a vessel described in subsection (1) shall ensure that it is registered under this Part.
Marginal note:Mandatory registration — government vessels
(3) Every government vessel must be registered under this Part.
Marginal note:Optional registration
47. Unless they are registered, listed or otherwise recorded in a foreign state, the following vessels may be registered under this Part:
(a) a pleasure craft that is wholly owned by qualified persons;
(b) a vessel that is owned by a corporation incorporated under the laws of a foreign state if one of the following is acting with respect to all matters relating to the vessel, namely,
(i) a subsidiary of the corporation incorporated under the laws of Canada or a province,
(ii) an employee or a director in Canada of a branch office of the corporation that is carrying on business in Canada, or
(iii) a ship management company incorporated under the laws of Canada or a province; and
(c) a vessel that is in the exclusive possession of a qualified person under a financing agreement under which the person will acquire ownership on completion of the agreement.
Marginal note:Bare-boat chartered vessels
48. A vessel that is registered in a foreign state and that is bare-boat chartered exclusively to a qualified person may be listed under this Part as a bare-boat chartered vessel for the duration of the charter if, for the duration of the charter, the registration is suspended in respect of the right to fly the flag of that state.
Marginal note:Vessels under construction
49. A vessel that is about to be built or that is under construction in Canada may be temporarily recorded in the Register as a vessel being built in Canada.
Marginal note:Vessels built outside Canada
50. Notwithstanding sections 46 to 48, the Minister may direct the Chief Registrar to refuse to register or list a vessel built outside Canada.
51. (1) An application for the registration, listing or recording of a vessel must be made in the form and manner, include the information and be accompanied by the documents specified by the Chief Registrar.
Marginal note:Further evidence
(2) In addition to the specified information and documents, the Chief Registrar may require an applicant to provide evidence, including declarations, that the Chief Registrar considers necessary to establish that a vessel is required or entitled to be registered or is entitled to be listed or recorded.
- Date modified: