308. Paragraph 31(1)(c) of the Act is replaced by the following:
(c) if the expenses of burial of a seaman are paid by an employer under section 93 of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 following any accident in respect of which compensation is payable under this Act, the amount of the expenses shall be deducted from the amount payable under paragraphs (a) and (b);
309. Subsection 42(2) of the Act is replaced by the following:
Marginal note:No compensation if wages paid
(2) No compensation is payable in respect of the period during which an employer is, under the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, or otherwise, liable for the payment of wages and to defray the expenses of maintenance of an injured seaman.
310. Section 47 of the Act is replaced by the following:
Marginal note:Medical aid under one Act only
47. Notwithstanding anything in this Act, a seaman entitled to medical aid under Part 3 of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, or under any other Act that provides similar benefits, is not entitled to medical aid under this Act during the period and to the extent that medical aid is furnished under that Part or that other Act.
Marginal note:R.S., c. N-5
National Defence Act
Marginal note:R.S., c. 15 (4th Supp.)
Non-smokers’ Health Act
Marginal note:1996, c. 10, s. 247
Marginal note:Application outside Canada
(2) This Act, except section 10, applies outside Canada in respect of a work space on an aircraft, train or motor vehicle being operated between Canada and another country by a Canadian, as defined in section 55 of the Canada Transportation Act, or a work space on a vessel registered or listed under the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 that is being operated between Canada and another country, to the extent that compliance with this Act within the territory of another jurisdiction does not result in the contravention of the laws of that jurisdiction.
Marginal note:1992, c. 39
Northwest Territories Waters Act
but does not include a use connected with shipping activities that are governed by the Canada Shipping Act, 2001;
- Date modified: