Marginal note:Counselling offence
131. Every person who knowingly induces, aids or abets or attempts to induce, aid or abet any person to contravene section 117, 118, 119, 122, 124, 129 or 130, or who counsels a person to do so, commits an offence and is liable to the same penalty as that person.
Marginal note:Part XII.2 of the Criminal Code applicable
132. Sections 462.3 and 462.32 to 462.5 of the Criminal Code apply, with any modifications that the circumstances require, in respect of proceedings for an offence contrary to section 117, 118, 119, 122, 124, 126, 127, 129, 130 or 131.
Prosecution of Offences
133. A person who has claimed refugee protection, and who came to Canada directly or indirectly from the country in respect of which the claim is made, may not be charged with an offence under section 122, paragraph 124(1)(a) or section 127 of this Act or under section 57, paragraph 340(c) or section 354, 366, 368, 374 or 403 of the Criminal Code, in relation to the coming into Canada of the person, pending disposition of their claim for refugee protection or if refugee protection is conferred.
Marginal note:Defence — incorporation by reference
134. No person may be found guilty of an offence or subjected to a penalty for the contravention of a provision of a regulation that incorporates material by reference, unless it is proved that, at the time of the alleged contravention,
(a) the material was reasonably accessible to the person;
(b) reasonable steps had been taken to ensure that the material was accessible to persons likely to be affected by the regulation; or
(c) the material had been published in the Canada Gazette.
Marginal note:Offences outside Canada
135. An act or omission that would by reason of this Act be punishable as an offence if committed in Canada is, if committed outside Canada, an offence under this Act and may be tried and punished in Canada.
136. (1) A proceeding in respect of an offence under this Act may be instituted, tried and determined at the place in Canada where the offence was committed or at the place in Canada where the person charged with the offence is or has an office or place of business at the time of the institution of those proceedings.
Marginal note:Where commission outside Canada
(2) A proceeding in respect of an offence under this Act that is committed outside Canada may be instituted, tried and determined at any place in Canada.
137. (1) A court that convicts a person of an offence under this Act may, in addition to any other punishment imposed, order that any offence-related property seized in relation to the offence be forfeited to Her Majesty in right of Canada.
(2) The regulations may define the expression “offence-related property” for the purposes of this section, may provide for any matter relating to the application of this section, and may include provisions respecting the return to their lawful owner, disposition, or disposition of the proceeds of disposition, of offence-related property that has been seized.
- Date modified: