Marginal note:R.S., c. A-2
Marginal note:R.S., c. 33 (1st Supp.), s. 1
« Tribunal »
“Tribunal” means the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada established by subsection 2(1) of the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada Act.
Marginal note:R.S., c. 33 (1st Supp.), s. 1; 1992, c. 4, s. 14
34. Sections 6.6 to 6.8 of the Act are replaced by the following:
Definition of “Canadian aviation document”
6.6 In sections 6.7 to 7.21, “Canadian aviation document” includes any privilege accorded by a Canadian aviation document.
Marginal note:Non-application of certain provisions
6.7 Sections 6.71 to 7.21 do not apply to a member of the Canadian Armed Forces acting in that capacity or to any other person in relation to a Canadian aviation document issued in respect of a military aircraft, military aerodrome or military facility.
Marginal note:Minister may refuse to issue or amend Canadian aviation document
6.71 (1) The Minister may refuse to issue or amend a Canadian aviation document on the grounds that
(a) the applicant is incompetent;
(b) the applicant or any aircraft, aerodrome, airport or other facility in respect of which the application is made does not meet the qualifications or fulfil the conditions necessary for the issuance or amendment of the document; or
(c) the Minister is of the opinion that the public interest and, in particular, the aviation record of the applicant or of any principal of the applicant, as defined in regulations made under paragraph (3)(a), warrant the refusal.
(2) The Minister shall, by personal service or by registered or certified mail sent to their latest known address, notify the applicant or the owner or operator of the aircraft, aerodrome, airport or other facility, as the case may be, of a decision made under subsection (1). The notice shall be in a form prescribed by regulation of the Governor in Council and, in addition to any other information that may be prescribed, shall indicate, as the case requires,
(a) the nature of the incompetence of the applicant;
(b) the qualifications or conditions referred to in paragraph (1)(b) that are not met or fulfilled, as the case may be;
(c) the reasons for the Minister’s opinion referred to in paragraph (1)(c); and
(d) except in the case of a document or class of documents prescribed under paragraph (3)(b), the address at which, and the date, being thirty days after the notice is served or sent, on or before which the applicant, owner or operator may file a request for a review of the Minister’s decision.
(3) The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) defining the word “principal”; and
(b) prescribing Canadian aviation documents, or classes of such documents, in respect of which a review of the Minister’s decision to refuse to issue or amend a document may not be requested.
Marginal note:Request for review
6.72 (1) Subject to any regulations made under paragraph 6.71(3)(b), an applicant, owner or operator who is served with or sent a notice under subsection 6.71(2) and who wishes to have the Minister’s decision reviewed shall, on or before the date specified in the notice or within any further time that the Tribunal on application may allow, file a written request for a review of the decision with the Tribunal at the address set out in the notice.
Marginal note:Time and place for review
(2) On receipt of a request filed under subsection (1), the Tribunal shall appoint a time and place for the review and shall notify the Minister and the person who filed the request of the time and place in writing.
Marginal note:Review procedure
(3) The member of the Tribunal assigned to conduct the review shall provide the Minister and the person who filed the request with an opportunity consistent with procedural fairness and natural justice to present evidence and make representations.
(4) The member of the Tribunal who conducts the review may determine the matter by confirming the Minister’s decision or by referring the matter back to the Minister for reconsideration.
Marginal note:Suspensions, etc., generally
6.8 In addition to any ground referred to in any of sections 6.71, 6.9 to 7.1 and 7.21, the Minister may suspend, cancel or refuse to issue, amend or renew a Canadian aviation document in the circumstances and on the grounds prescribed by regulation of the Governor in Council.
- Date modified: