15. No Commissioner, person appointed under subsection 4(4) or Deputy Commissioner shall borrow money from any financial institution or from any member institution as defined in the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation Act unless the Minister is first informed in writing of the intention of the Commissioner, person or Deputy Commissioner to do so.
Marginal note:No grant or gratuity to be made
16. (1) The Commissioner, a person appointed under subsection 4(4), a Deputy Commissioner and any person appointed under section 10 shall not accept or receive, directly or indirectly, any grant or gratuity from a financial institution, bank holding company, insurance holding company, or from a director, officer or employee of any of them, and no such financial institution, bank holding company, insurance holding company, director, officer or employee shall make or give any such grant or gratuity.
Marginal note:Offence and punishment
(2) Every person, financial institution, bank holding company or insurance holding company that contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence and liable
(a) on summary conviction, to a fine of not more than $2000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months or to both; or
(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine of not more than $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years or to both.
Marginal note:Confidential information
17. (1) Subject to subsection (2) and except as otherwise provided in this Act, information regarding the business or affairs of a financial institution or regarding persons dealing with one that is obtained by the Commissioner or by any person acting under the direction of the Commissioner, in the course of the exercise or performance of powers, duties and functions referred to in subsections 5(1) and (2) and any information prepared from that information, is confidential and shall be treated accordingly.
Marginal note:Disclosure permitted
(2) If the Commissioner is satisfied that the information will be treated as confidential by the agency, body or person to whom it is disclosed, subsection (1) does not prevent the Commissioner from disclosing it
(a) to any government agency or body that regulates or supervises financial institutions, for purposes related to that regulation or supervision;
(b) to any other agency or body that regulates or supervises financial institutions, for purposes related to that regulation or supervision;
(c) to the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation or any compensation association designated by order of the Minister pursuant to subsection 449(1) or 591(1) of the Insurance Companies Act, for purposes related to its operation; and
(d) to the Deputy Minister of Finance or any officer of the Department of Finance authorized in writing by the Deputy Minister of Finance or to the Governor of the Bank of Canada or any officer of the Bank of Canada authorized in writing by the Governor of the Bank of Canada, for the purposes of policy analysis related to the regulation of financial institutions.
- Date modified: