Marginal note:Laundering proceeds of certain offences
231. (1) No person shall use, transfer the possession of, send or deliver to any person or place, transport, transmit, alter, dispose of or otherwise deal with, in any manner or by any means, any property or any proceeds of any property with intent to conceal or convert that property or those proceeds, knowing that all or part of that property or those proceeds were obtained or derived directly or indirectly as a result of
(a) the commission of an offence under section 214 or subsection 216(1) or 218(1); or
(b) a conspiracy or an attempt to commit, being a party to, being an accessory after the fact in relation to, or any counselling in relation to, an offence referred to in paragraph (a).
(2) Every person who contravenes subsection (1)
(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a fine of not more than $500,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years, or to both; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to a fine of not more than $100,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than 18 months, or to both.
(3) A peace officer or a person acting under the direction of a peace officer is not guilty of an offence under this section by reason only that the peace officer or person does any of the things mentioned in subsection (1) for the purposes of an investigation or otherwise in the execution of the peace officer’s duties.
Marginal note:Part XII.2 of Criminal Code applicable
232. (1) Sections 462.3 and 462.32 to 462.5 of the Criminal Code apply, with any modifications that the circumstances require, in respect of proceedings for an offence under section 214, subsection 216(1) or 218(1) or section 230 or 231.
Marginal note:Reference to enterprise crime offence
(2) For the purpose of subsection (1), the references in sections 462.37 and 462.38 and subsection 462.41(2) of the Criminal Code to an enterprise crime offence are deemed to include references to the offences referred to in subsection (1).
Marginal note:Contravention of section 34 or 37
233. Every tobacco licensee who contravenes section 34 or 37 is liable to a penalty equal to 200% of the duty that was imposed on the tobacco product to which the contravention relates.
Marginal note:Contravention of section 38, 40, 41, 49, 61, 99, 149 or 151
234. Every person who contravenes section 38, 40, 41, 49, 61, 99, 149 or 151 is liable to a penalty of not more than $25,000.
Marginal note:Penalty for unauthorized export of raw leaf tobacco
235. Every tobacco grower who exports raw leaf tobacco without the written approval of the Minister or who fails to comply with a condition imposed by the Minister in respect of the export is liable to a penalty of not more than $25,000.
- Date modified: