Marginal note:False statements or omissions
253. Every person who knowingly, or under circumstances amounting to gross negligence, makes, or participates in, assents to or acquiesces in the making of, a false statement or omission in a return, application, form, certificate, statement, invoice or answer (each of which is in this section referred to as a “return”) made in respect of a fiscal month or activity is liable to a penalty equal to the greater of $250 and 25% of the total of
(a) if the false statement or omission is relevant to the determination of an amount of duty payable by the person, the amount, if any, by which
(i) that duty payable
(ii) the amount that would be the duty payable by the person if the duty were determined on the basis of the information provided in the return; and
(b) if the false statement or omission is relevant to the determination of a refund or any other payment that may be obtained under this Act, the amount, if any, by which
(i) the amount that would be the refund or other payment payable to the person if the refund or other payment were determined on the basis of the information provided in the return
(ii) the amount of the refund or other payment payable to the person.
Marginal note:Notice of imposed penalty
254. (1) A penalty that a person is liable to pay under any of sections 233 to 253 may be imposed by the Minister by serving on the person a written notice of the imposed penalty or by sending the notice by registered or certified mail to the person’s last known address.
Marginal note:Penalty is in addition to other sanction
(2) A penalty may be imposed in addition to a seizure or forfeiture of a thing or the suspension or cancellation of a licence or registration under this Act that arises from the same event as the contravention in respect of which the penalty is imposed.
Marginal note:When penalty becomes payable
255. The amount of a penalty imposed on a person under section 254 is payable by the person to the Receiver General at the time it is imposed.
Marginal note:Interest on penalty during review period
256. Despite subsection 170(1), if a request is made under subsection 271(1) for a decision of the Minister in respect of a penalty imposed under section 254, no interest is payable in respect of the penalty for the period beginning on the day on which the request is made and ending on the day on which the Minister gives notice of the decision under subsection 273(2) or, if the decision is appealed to the Federal Court under section 276, the day on which the appeal is resolved.
Marginal note:Review of imposed penalty
257. The debt due to Her Majesty as a result of a penalty imposed under section 254 is final and not subject to review or to be restrained, prohibited, removed, set aside or otherwise dealt with except to the extent and in the manner provided under this Act.
- Date modified: