Supreme Court of Yukon
Marginal note:Judges of the Supreme Court of Yukon
40. A judge, other than a deputy judge, of the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories or of the Nunavut Court of Justice is, by reason of holding that office, a judge of the Supreme Court of Yukon.
Marginal note:Deputy judges
41. (1) The Governor in Council may appoint any person who is or has been a judge of a superior, district or county court of a province or a barrister or advocate of at least 10 years standing at the bar of a province to be a deputy judge of the Supreme Court of Yukon and fix his or her remuneration and allowances.
Marginal note:Duration of appointment
(2) A deputy judge may be appointed for any particular case or cases or for any specified period.
Marginal note:Tenure of office
(3) A deputy judge holds office during good behaviour but is removable by the Governor General on address of the Senate and House of Commons.
(4) A deputy judge shall be sworn to the faithful performance of his or her duties in the same manner as a judge of the Supreme Court of Yukon and, during his or her appointment, temporarily has and may exercise and perform all the powers, duties and functions of a judge of the Court.
Marginal note:Jurisdiction to try civil cases
42. The Supreme Court of Yukon has and may exercise and perform, in the Northwest Territories or Nunavut, all the powers, duties and functions of the Court with respect to a civil case, other than a civil case where the Court sits with a jury.
Marginal note:Jurisdiction to try criminal cases
43. (1) A judge of the Supreme Court of Yukon has and may exercise and perform, anywhere in Canada, all the powers, duties and functions of the Court with respect to any criminal offence committed or charged to have been committed in Yukon.
Marginal note:Application of laws
(2) All laws applicable to criminal proceedings in Yukon apply in like manner to proceedings held under this section at any other place in Canada.
Marginal note:Enforcement of decisions
(3) Any judgment, conviction, sentence or order pronounced or made in any proceedings held under this section outside Yukon may be enforced or executed at the place at which it is pronounced or made or elsewhere, either in or outside Yukon, as a judge of the Supreme Court of Yukon may direct, and the proper officers of Yukon have and may exercise all powers and authority necessary for the enforcement or execution of it at the place where it is directed to be enforced or executed, notwithstanding that the place is not in Yukon.
Court of Appeal of Yukon
44. The Court of Appeal of Yukon may sit in Yukon and, unless the laws of the Legislature provide otherwise, in any other place in Canada.
- Date modified: