Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
6. This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada.
7. The purpose of this Act is to implement the Agreement and the related agreements, the objectives of which, as elaborated more specifically through their provisions, are to
(a) establish a free trade area in accordance with the Agreement;
(b) promote, through the expansion of reciprocal trade, the harmonious development of the economic relations between Canada and the Republic of Peru in order to foster, in Canada and in the Republic of Peru, the advancement of economic activity;
(c) provide fair conditions of competition affecting trade between Canada and the Republic of Peru;
(d) substantially increase investment opportunities in Canada and the Republic of Peru;
(e) contribute, by the removal of barriers to trade, to the harmonious development and expansion of world trade;
(f) enhance and enforce environmental laws and regulations and strengthen cooperation on environmental matters;
(g) protect, enhance and enforce basic workers’ rights, strengthen cooperation and build on the respective international commitments of Canada and the Republic of Peru on labour matters; and
(h) promote sustainable development.
CAUSES OF ACTION
Marginal note:Causes of action under Part 1
8. (1) No person has any cause of action and no proceedings of any kind shall be taken, without the consent in writing of the Attorney General of Canada, including the reasons why consent was given, to enforce or determine any right or obligation that is claimed or arises solely under or by virtue of Part 1 or an order made under that Part.
Marginal note:Causes of action under the Agreement or a related agreement
(2) Subject to Section B of Chapter Eight of the Agreement and Part Three and Annex 4 of the Agreement on Labour Cooperation between Canada and the Republic of Peru, signed on May 29, 2008, no person has any cause of action and no proceedings of any kind shall be taken, without the consent of the Attorney General of Canada, to enforce or determine any right or obligation that is claimed or arises solely under or by virtue of the Agreement or a related agreement.
IMPLEMENTATION OF THE AGREEMENT AND THE RELATED AGREEMENTS
Marginal note:Agreements approved
9. The Agreement and the related agreements are approved.
Administrative and Institutional Provisions
Marginal note:Canadian representative on Joint Commission
10. The Minister is the principal representative of Canada on the Joint Commission.
Marginal note:Payment of expenditures
11. The Government of Canada shall pay its appropriate share of the aggregate of any expenditures incurred by or on behalf of the Joint Commission.
- Date modified: