Marginal note:Compound interest on amounts not paid when required
27. (1) If a person fails to pay an amount to the Receiver General as and when required under this Act, the person shall pay to the Receiver General interest on the amount. The interest shall be compounded daily at the prescribed rate and computed for the period that begins on the first day after the day on or before which the amount was required to be paid and that ends on the day the amount is paid.
Marginal note:Payment of interest that is compounded
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), interest that is compounded on a particular day on an unpaid amount of a person is deemed to be required to be paid by the person to the Receiver General at the end of the particular day, and, if the person has not paid the interest so computed by the end of the day after the particular day, the interest shall be added to the unpaid amount at the end of the particular day.
Marginal note:Payment before specified date
(3) If the Minister has served a demand that a person pay on or before a specified date all amounts payable by the person under this Act on the date of the demand, and the person pays the amount demanded on or before the specified date, the Minister shall waive any interest that would otherwise apply in respect of the amount demanded for the period beginning on the first day following the date of the demand and ending on the day of payment.
- 2002, c. 9, s. 5 “27”;
- 2006, c. 4, s. 101.
Marginal note:Compound interest on amounts owed by Her Majesty
28. Interest shall be compounded daily at the prescribed rate on amounts owed by Her Majesty to a person and computed for the period beginning on the first day after the day on which the amount is required to be paid by Her Majesty and ending on the day on which the amount is paid or is applied against an amount owed by the person to Her Majesty.
Marginal note:Application of interest provisions if Act amended
29. For greater certainty, if a provision of an Act amends this Act and provides that the amendment comes into force on, or applies as of, a particular day that is before the day on which the provision is assented to, the provisions of this Act that relate to the calculation and payment of interest apply in respect of the amendment as though the provision had been assented to on the particular day.
Marginal note:Waiving or reducing interest
30. (1) The Minister may, on or before the day that is 10 calendar years after the end of a reporting period of a person, or on application by the person on or before that day, waive or reduce any interest payable by the person under this Act on an amount that is required to be paid by the person under this Act in respect of the reporting period.
Marginal note:Interest where amounts waived or reduced
(2) If a person has paid an amount of interest and the Minister has waived or reduced under subsection (1) any portion of the amount, the Minister shall pay interest at the prescribed rate on an amount equal to the portion of the amount that was waived or reduced beginning on the day that is 30 days after the day on which the Minister received a request in a manner satisfactory to the Minister to apply that subsection and ending on the day on which the portion is refunded to the person.
- 2002, c. 9, s. 5 “30”;
- 2006, c. 4, s. 102;
- 2007, c. 18, s. 146;
- 2010, c. 25, s. 96.
- Date modified: