Board of Directors
Marginal note:Board of Directors
40. (1) There shall be a Board of Directors of the Corporation consisting of seven directors, six of whom are to be elected by the members of the Corporation and one of whom is to be appointed by the Minister to represent the interests of the Minister and breeders and owners of animals of any distinct breed or evolving breed in respect of which there is no association.
(2) Only a Canadian citizen ordinarily resident in Canada or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act may be a director of the Corporation.
Marginal note:Term of office
(3) The term of office of a director elected by the members of the Corporation is two years, except that at the first election of directors, three of the directors shall be elected for a term of one year.
(4) A director elected by the members of the Corporation and whose term of office has expired is eligible for re-election.
Marginal note:First directors
(5) The first members of the Board of Directors of the Corporation shall be the members of the Canadian National Live Stock Records Committee immediately prior to the coming into force of this Act and terms of office shall expire when members of the Board of Directors of the Corporation are appointed at the first meeting of the members of the Corporation.
(6) A member of the Board of Directors referred to in subsection (5) is eligible for reelection at the meeting referred to in that subsection.
Marginal note:First meeting
(7) The first meeting of the members of the Corporation shall be held as soon as possible after the day this Act comes into force, but not later than one year after that day, for the purpose of electing directors in accordance with subsection (1) and for such other purpose as the members consider appropriate.
- R.S., 1985, c. 8 (4th Supp.), s. 40;
- 2001, c. 27, s. 205.
41. The Board shall elect a Chairman from among the directors.
Marginal note:Duties and powers of Board
42. The Board shall direct and manage the business and affairs of the Corporation and may for those purposes exercise all the powers of the Corporation.
43. (1) The Board shall make by-laws
(a) for the administration and management of the business and affairs of the Corporation;
(b) respecting the holding of meetings of the Board, the quorum at such meetings and the manner in which questions considered at such meetings shall be determined;
(c) respecting the holding of general and special meetings of the members of the Corporation, the quorum at such meetings and the manner in which questions considered at such meetings shall be determined;
(d) respecting the appointment, remuneration, powers, functions and duties of employees, and agents or mandataries, of the Corporation;
(e) respecting the payment of fees for services performed by the Corporation and establishing the method of determining the amount of those fees; and
(f) for the conduct in all other particulars of the business and affairs of the Corporation.
Marginal note:When by-law has effect
(2) No by-law of the Corporation has any effect until it is approved by the Minister.
- 1985, c. 8 (4th Supp.), s. 43;
- 2004, c. 25, s. 4.
- Date modified: