53. The Minister may appoint a person to hold an inquiry into the manner in which any association is or has been conducting its business, and every person so appointed has, for the purposes of the inquiry, all the powers of a commissioner under Part I of the Inquiries Act.
Marginal note:Powers of Minister
54. On the conclusion of an inspection or examination pursuant to section 52 or an inquiry under section 53, the Minister may take, or may, by order, direct any association or the Corporation to take, such action as the Minister considers necessary.
Marginal note:Directions to associations
55. On being satisfied that an association has for any period failed to conduct its business and affairs in accordance with the provisions of its by-laws or this Act, or has failed for a period of twelve months to carry on its business and affairs, the Minister may, by order, make such direction to the association as seems proper to the Minister in the interest of the association’s purpose.
Marginal note:Failure to comply
56. Where a direction of the Minister under section 54 or 55 contains a time limit and an association fails to carry out the direction within that time limit, the Minister may take over the property and carry on the business and affairs of the association for such time as the Minister considers appropriate.
57. The Minister may make regulations for carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Act and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, may make regulations
(a) prescribing anything that by this Act is to be prescribed; and
(b) respecting the dissolution of associations under this Act.
Marginal note:Minister may order dissolution
58. (1) The Minister may, by order, declare the corporate powers of any association to be terminated in any of the following circumstances:
(a) where the association has failed to make by-laws in accordance with section 15 within one year after coming into existence;
(b) where the Minister is satisfied that the association has failed for any period to conduct its business and affairs in accordance with the provisions of its by-laws or this Act;
(c) where the Minister is satisfied that the association has failed for a period of twelve months to carry on business;
(d) where the association has failed to carry out any direction of the Minister under section 54 or 55 in the time, if any, specified in the direction; or
(e) on petition therefor by the association supported by a resolution to that effect passed by at least two thirds of the members of the association.
Marginal note:Dissolution in accordance with regulations
(2) Where the Minister declares the corporate powers of an association to be terminated, the affairs of the association shall be wound up and the association shall be dissolved in accordance with regulations made pursuant to paragraph 57(b).
Marginal note:Distribution of assets
(3) Where an association is dissolved, any property of the association that remains after the payment of the association’s debts and liabilities shall be transferred to such other association with a similar purpose or to such charity as the Minister may specify in writing.
- Date modified: