Marginal note:General Manager
(2) The General Manager of the Corporation has, on behalf of the Board, responsibility for the direction and management of the business and affairs of the Corporation, and authority to act in all matters that are not by the by-laws or by resolution of the Board specifically reserved to be done by the Chairman of the Board or the Board itself.
Marginal note:Membership eligibility
Marginal note:First members
(2) The first members of the Corporation are the associations affiliated under the Canadian National Live Stock Records immediately before the coming into force of this Act.
Marginal note:Number of votes
46 Each association that is a member of the Corporation shall, for all purposes, have voting rights as follows:
(a) where the association has two hundred members or less, one vote;
(b) where the association has more than two hundred members but not more than five hundred members, two votes;
(c) where the association has more than five hundred members but not more than one thousand members, three votes;
(d) where the association has more than one thousand members but not more than one thousand five hundred members, four votes; and
(e) where the association has more than one thousand five hundred members, five votes.
Marginal note:Election of directors
47 (1) The candidates for directors to be elected by the members of the Corporation shall be the persons nominated therefor by the members of the Corporation and the elected directors shall be those nominated persons who receive the largest number of votes.
Marginal note:Distribution of votes
(2) For the purpose of electing directors, a member of the Corporation with more than one vote may cast its votes in favour of one candidate or distribute them among the candidates in any manner.
Termination of Membership
Marginal note:Termination of membership
Marginal note:Records to be returned
(2) Where an association ceases to be a member of the Corporation, the Corporation shall, on request therefor, provide the association with all of the Corporation’s records relating to that association.
Marginal note:Annual meeting
49 The members of the Corporation shall meet at least once a year.
Marginal note:Personal liability
50 No member of the Board, General Manager of the Corporation or officer or employee of the Corporation, or other person acting on behalf of the Corporation, is personally liable for any act done in good faith in the exercise of any of that person’s powers or the performance of that person’s duties and functions or for any default or neglect in good faith in the exercise of any of that person’s powers or the performance of that person’s duties and functions.
General Stud and Herd Book
Marginal note:General Stud and Herd Book
(a) authorize the Corporation to exercise the powers referred to in section 37 in relation to such distinct breeds and evolving breeds as the Minister, applying scientific genetic principles, may designate and for which there is no association;
(b) authorize the Corporation to establish a General Stud and Herd Book for the keeping of pedigree records of the distinct breeds and evolving breeds referred to in paragraph (a); and
(c) establish rules of eligibility for registration and identification of animals in the General Stud and Herd Book.
Marginal note:Records to be handed over
(2) On the incorporation of an association in respect of a distinct breed or evolving breed referred to in subsection (1), the Corporation shall hand over to the association all records that have been kept in relation thereto.
52 (1) The Minister may, at any time, undertake such inspections and examinations of the business and affairs of any association, or of the Corporation, as the Minister deems appropriate, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, inspections into and examinations of
(a) the manner in which the registration or identification, as the case may be, of animals is carried out by any association or by the Corporation;
(b) the manner in which the individual identification of animals is carried out and supervised by any association or by the Corporation; and
(c) the private breeding records of any member of an association.
Marginal note:Right to require information and documents
(2) In the course of an inspection or examination pursuant to subsection (1), the Minister may require any person
(a) to furnish any information that, in the opinion of the Minister, the person may be able to furnish in relation to the matter being inspected or examined; and
(b) to produce, for examination by the Minister, any document, paper or thing that, in the opinion of the Minister, relates to the matter being inspected or examined and that may be in the possession or under the control of that person.
Marginal note:Return of document, etc.
(3) Any document, paper or thing produced by any person pursuant to this section shall be returned to that person by the Minister within ten days after a request is made to the Minister by that person, but nothing in this section precludes the Minister from again requiring its production in accordance with this section.
Marginal note:Right to make copies
(4) The Minister may make copies of any document, paper or thing produced pursuant to this section.
Marginal note:Right to enter
(5) For the purposes of this section, the Minister may, at any reasonable time, enter any premises occupied by any association or by the Corporation and carry out therein an inspection or examination.
Marginal note:Warrant required to enter dwelling-house
(6) Where the premises referred to in subsection (5) are a dwelling-house, the Minister or any person acting on the Minister’s behalf may not enter that dwelling-house without the consent of the occupant except under the authority of a warrant issued under subsection (7).
Marginal note:Authority to issue warrant
(7) Where on ex parte application a justice of the peace is satisfied by information on oath
(a) that entry to the dwelling-house is necessary for any purpose related to the carrying out of an inspection or examination, and
(b) that entry to the dwelling-house has been refused or that there are reasonable grounds for believing that entry thereto will be refused,
the justice may issue a warrant under the justice’s hand authorizing the Minister or a person acting on the Minister’s behalf and named therein to enter that dwelling-house subject to such conditions as may be specified in the warrant.
53 The Minister may appoint a person to hold an inquiry into the manner in which any association is or has been conducting its business, and every person so appointed has, for the purposes of the inquiry, all the powers of a commissioner under Part I of the Inquiries Act.
Marginal note:Powers of Minister
54 On the conclusion of an inspection or examination pursuant to section 52 or an inquiry under section 53, the Minister may take, or may, by order, direct any association or the Corporation to take, such action as the Minister considers necessary.
Marginal note:Directions to associations
55 On being satisfied that an association has for any period failed to conduct its business and affairs in accordance with the provisions of its by-laws or this Act, or has failed for a period of twelve months to carry on its business and affairs, the Minister may, by order, make such direction to the association as seems proper to the Minister in the interest of the association’s purpose.
- Date modified: