31. The identification of animals of an evolving breed shall be in accordance with the by-laws of the association incorporated in respect of that evolving breed.
Marginal note:Certificates of identification
32. (1) An association that identifies an animal may issue a certificate of identification to evidence the identification.
Marginal note:Certificate is proof
(2) Unless cancelled, and in the absence of any proof to the contrary, a certificate of identification in respect of an animal named therein is proof that the animal is in the process of evolving into a new breed as an animal of the evolving breed referred to in the certificate.
Marginal note:Form and contents of certificates of identification
(3) A certificate of identification issued by an association in respect of an animal shall be in such form and contain such information as the association requires by its by-laws, but every certificate of identification must set out
(a) the name of the association;
(b) the animal’s name and particulars of the animal’s individual identification;
(c) the animal’s date of birth, sex and identification number;
(d) the names and identification numbers of the animal’s parents, if known, or, if unknown, a statement to that effect; and
(e) the name of the animal’s owner.
SEMEN AND EMBRYOS
Marginal note:Semen and embryos
33. (1) An association may keep records of semen and records of embryos in respect of the animals of any distinct breed or evolving breed it is authorized to register or identify.
Marginal note:Semen certificates and embryo certificates
(2) An association that keeps records of semen and records of embryos may, with respect to any semen or embryo recorded by it, issue a semen certificate or an embryo certificate, as the case may be, to evidence the recording.
Marginal note:Form and contents of semen certificates and embryo certificates
(3) A semen certificate and an embryo certificate issued by an association in respect of semen or an embryo shall be in such form and contain such information as the association requires by its by-laws, but every certificate must set out
(a) the name of the association; and
(b) the name of the owner of the semen or embryo.
RECOGNITION OF NEW BREEDS
Marginal note:Request for recognition of new breed
34. (1) Where an association incorporated in respect of an evolving breed determines that animals it has identified have evolved to the point of constituting the new breed into which they were intended to evolve, the association may request that the Minister examine the animals with a view to recognizing the new breed.
Marginal note:Articles of amendment
(2) Any association making a request under subsection (1) may, at the time of making the request or at any time thereafter, file with the Minister articles of amendment to transform the association into an association incorporated in respect of the new breed to which the request relates.
(3) Where the Minister is satisfied that the animals that are the subject of a request under subsection (1) have evolved into the new breed and that there are sufficient numbers of such animals to constitute the foundation stock of the new breed, the Minister may recognize the new breed and, if articles of amendment referred to in subsection (2) have been filed, issue a certificate of amendment in respect thereof.
Marginal note:Minister must be satisfied
(4) In determining whether animals have evolved into a new breed the Minister must be satisfied that the animals bear a physical resemblance to and have the same genetic make-up as the breed into which the animals were intended to evolve, and that the animals have been reproducing with genetic stability.
Marginal note:Association may continue to identify animals
(5) Notwithstanding that a certificate of amendment has been issued to an association in respect of articles of amendment referred to in subsection (2), the Minister may, for such period as the Minister may specify, authorize the association to continue to identify animals for the purposes of adding, subject to the Minister’s approval, to the new breed’s foundation stock.
- Date modified: