Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency Act
Marginal note:Short title
3. In this Part,
« Agence »
“Agency” means the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency established by section 10;
« Canada atlantique »
“Atlantic Canada” means the Provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland;
“Board”[Repealed, 2014, c. 20, s. 175]
« zone désignée »
“designated area” means an area of Atlantic Canada designated by order of the Minister pursuant to section 7;
« ministre »
“Minister” means such member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada as is appointed by Commission under the Great Seal to be the Minister for the purposes of this Part;
« président »
“President” means the President of the Agency appointed pursuant to subsection 11(1).
- R.S., 1985, c. 41 (4th Supp.), s. 3;
- 2014, c. 20, s. 175.
4. The purpose of this Part is to increase opportunity for economic development in Atlantic Canada and, more particularly, to enhance the growth of earned incomes and employment opportunities in that region.
POWERS, DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS OF THE MINISTER
Marginal note:Powers, duties and functions of the Minister
5. (1) In furtherance of the purpose of this Part, the Minister may exercise powers and perform duties and functions that affect economic opportunity and development in Atlantic Canada over which Parliament has jurisdiction and that are not by or pursuant to law assigned to any other member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada or to any department, board or agency of the Government of Canada.
(2) The Minister shall coordinate the policies and programs of the Government of Canada in relation to opportunity for economic development in Atlantic Canada.
Marginal note:Advisory boards
(3) The Minister may establish advisory boards and provide for their membership, duties, functions and operation.
(4) Subject to the approval of the Governor in Council, the Minister may provide for the payment of reasonable travel and living expenses incurred in the performance of their duties and functions by members of advisory boards established under subsection (3).
- Date modified: