14. The Agency shall assist the Minister
(a) generally, in the exercise of powers and the performance of duties and functions under this Part and any other Act in relation to which powers, duties and functions are assigned to the Minister in relation to opportunity for economic development of Atlantic Canada;
(b) in the coordination of policies and programs of the Government of Canada in relation to opportunity for economic development of Atlantic Canada;
(c) by administering any agreements entered into by the Minister with a province or provinces;
(d) in the exercise of powers conferred on the Minister by section 8; and
(e) by compiling detailed information on all programs and projects undertaken by the Agency or the Minister for the purpose of measuring trends, development and progress in the economic development of Atlantic Canada.
Marginal note:Officers and employees
Marginal note:Government services and facilities
(2) In exercising its powers and performing its duties and functions under this Part, the Agency shall, where appropriate, make use of the services and facilities of departments, boards and agencies of the Government of Canada.
16. The principal office of the Agency shall be in Moncton, New Brunswick, but the Agency shall maintain at least one office in each other province in Atlantic Canada.
Marginal note:Contracts binding on Her Majesty
17. (1) Every contract, memorandum of understanding and arrangement entered into by the Agency in its own name is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada to the same extent as it is binding on the Agency.
Marginal note:Legal proceedings
(2) Actions, suits or other legal proceedings in respect of any right or obligation acquired or incurred by the Agency, whether in its own name or in the name of Her Majesty, may be brought or taken by or against the Agency in the name of the Agency in any court that would have jurisdiction if the Agency were a corporation that is not an agent of Her Majesty.
18. [Repealed, 2014, c. 20, s. 176]
19. [Repealed, 2014, c. 20, s. 176]
20. (1) The Minister may make regulations
(a) specifying programs and projects in addition to those referred to in paragraph 13(c) to improve the business environment in Atlantic Canada;
(b) defining, for the purposes of this Part, the expressions “small and medium-sized enterprises”, “project” and “demonstration projects” and the class or classes of small and medium-sized enterprises and of operations and activities eligible for support by the Agency under this Part; and
(c) generally for carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Part.
(2) The Minister may, with the approval of the Minister of Finance, make regulations
(a) relating to loans that may be made, guarantees that may be given and loan insurance and credit insurance that may be provided under this Part; and
(b) specifying the circumstances in which and the manner in which the Minister may acquire, exercise, assign or sell a stock option obtained as a condition under which a contribution or loan was made, a guarantee given or loan insurance or credit insurance provided under this Part.
Marginal note:Designated area regulations
(3) In order to exploit the opportunities for locally based improvements in productive employment identified in a designated area, regulations specially applicable to that area may be made under the authority of this section that vary from regulations of general application to Atlantic Canada.
- Date modified: