14. The Agency shall assist the Minister
(a) generally, in the exercise of powers and the performance of duties and functions under this Part and any other Act in relation to which powers, duties and functions are assigned to the Minister in relation to opportunity for economic development of Atlantic Canada;
(b) in the coordination of policies and programs of the Government of Canada in relation to opportunity for economic development of Atlantic Canada;
(c) by administering any agreements entered into by the Minister with a province or provinces;
(d) in the exercise of powers conferred on the Minister by section 8; and
(e) by compiling detailed information on all programs and projects undertaken by the Agency or the Minister for the purpose of measuring trends, development and progress in the economic development of Atlantic Canada.
Marginal note:Officers and employees
Marginal note:Government services and facilities
(2) In exercising its powers and performing its duties and functions under this Part, the Agency shall, where appropriate, make use of the services and facilities of departments, boards and agencies of the Government of Canada.
16. The principal office of the Agency shall be in Moncton, New Brunswick, but the Agency shall maintain at least one office in each other province in Atlantic Canada.
Marginal note:Contracts binding on Her Majesty
17. (1) Every contract, memorandum of understanding and arrangement entered into by the Agency in its own name is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada to the same extent as it is binding on the Agency.
Marginal note:Legal proceedings
(2) Actions, suits or other legal proceedings in respect of any right or obligation acquired or incurred by the Agency, whether in its own name or in the name of Her Majesty, may be brought or taken by or against the Agency in the name of the Agency in any court that would have jurisdiction if the Agency were a corporation that is not an agent of Her Majesty.
ATLANTIC CANADA OPPORTUNITIES BOARD
Marginal note:Establishment of Board
18. (1) There is hereby established a board to be known as the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Board, consisting of the President and not more than seven other members appointed by the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Minister to hold office during pleasure for a term not exceeding three years.
(2) The object of the Board is to assist the Agency in the exercise of its powers and the performance of its duties and functions.
(3) The Board shall include persons from each province in Atlantic Canada.
(4) The President is the Chairperson of the Board, but in the event of the absence of the President, another member of the Board designated by the President shall act as chairperson of the Board.
Marginal note:Acting member
(5) In the event of the absence or incapacity of a member of the Board other than the President, the Minister may designate a person to act as a member, but no person may act as a member for a period exceeding ninety days without the approval of the Governor in Council.
(6) A member of the Board other than the President, on the expiration of a first term of office, is eligible to be re-appointed for one further term only.
Marginal note:Remuneration and expenses
(7) Each member of the Board, other than the President, is entitled to be paid, for each day on which the member attends a meeting of the Board and for services provided to the Agency other than at a meeting of the Board, such remuneration as may be fixed by the Governor in Council and shall be paid reasonable travel and living expenses incurred by the member in the performance of duties and functions as such.
- R.S., 1985, c. 41 (4th Supp.), s. 18;
- 1995, c. 29, s. 2.
- Date modified: