9. (1) For the purpose of suspending benefits or imposing retaliatory measures of equivalent effect against a province pursuant to Article 1710 of the Agreement, the Governor in Council may, by order, do any one or more of the following:
(a) suspend rights or privileges granted by the Government of Canada to the province under the Agreement or any federal law; and
(b) modify or suspend the application of any federal law with respect to the province.
Marginal note:Definition of “federal law”
(2) In this section, “federal law” means the whole or any portion of any Act of Parliament or any regulation, order or other instrument issued, made or established in the exercise of a power conferred by or under an Act of Parliament.
Marginal note:Order subject to Chapter 17
(3) For greater certainty, the making of an order under subsection (1) shall be in accordance with and subject to Chapter 17 of the Agreement, in particular,
(a) the requirements for standing set out in paragraph 1704(8) of the Agreement; and
(b) the conditions and limitations set out in paragraphs 1710(3), (4) and (10) of the Agreement.
Committee on Internal Trade
Marginal note:Appointment of representative
10. The Governor in Council may appoint a Minister to be a representative on the Committee on Internal Trade established pursuant to Article 1600 of the Agreement.
Marginal note:Annual budget
11. The Government of Canada shall pay its portion of the annual budget of the Secretariat referred to in Article 1603 of the Agreement, in accordance with Annex 1603.3 of the Agreement.
Panels and Committees
Marginal note:Roster of panellists
12. The Governor in Council may appoint any person to be on the roster of panellists required by Article 1705 of the Agreement.
Marginal note:Representatives on committees
13. The Minister may appoint any person to be a representative of Canada on any committee referred to in the Agreement, other than the Committee on Internal Trade referred to in section 10.
14. (1) The Governor in Council may, by order, appoint any person to fill any position that may be necessary or advisable, in the opinion of the Governor in Council, for carrying out the purposes of the Agreement.
(2) A person appointed under subsection (1) may be paid such remuneration and expenses for their services as are fixed by the Governor in Council.
RELATED AND CONSEQUENTIAL AMENDMENTS
15. to 19. [Amendments]
- Date modified: