Marginal note:How matters to be dealt with
37 (1) Subject to subsection (5), the Tribunal or a member thereof is not bound by any legal or technical rules of evidence in conducting any matter that comes before it or the member and all such matters shall be dealt with by the Tribunal or member as informally and expeditiously as the circumstances and considerations of fairness and natural justice permit.
Marginal note:Appearance may be by agent
(2) Any person appearing before the Tribunal or any member thereof may appear in person or by agent.
Marginal note:Hearing in public
(3) Matters before the Tribunal or a member thereof shall be heard in public unless the Tribunal or member is satisfied that a public hearing would not be in the public interest, in which case the hearing or any part thereof may be held in private.
Marginal note:Powers of Tribunal
(5) The Tribunal or a member thereof may not receive or accept as evidence anything that would be inadmissible in a court by reason of any privilege under the law of evidence.
Marginal note:Reasons for decision
(6) The Tribunal or a member thereof shall, on request by a party to a proceeding before the Tribunal or member, furnish the party with the reasons in writing for the determination or decision of the Tribunal or member.
Marginal note:No costs
(7) No costs may be awarded by the Tribunal or a member thereof on the disposition of any matter under this Act.
Marginal note:Proceedings to be recorded
(8) Proceedings before the Tribunal or a member thereof shall be recorded and the record shall show all evidence taken and all determinations and findings made in respect of the proceedings.
Marginal note:Decision on appeal final
(9) A decision of the Tribunal on an appeal under this Act is final and binding on the parties to the appeal.
- R.S., 1985, c. 33 (1st Supp.), s. 5.
- Date modified: