Marginal note:Order re: asset maintenance
617. Where, in the opinion of the Superintendent, it is necessary for the protection of rights of depositors and creditors of the authorized foreign bank in respect of its business in Canada, the Superintendent may, by order,
(a) subject to any terms and conditions that the Superintendent considers necessary, direct an authorized foreign bank to maintain in Canada assets of any type and in any amount that the Superintendent may specify; and
(b) require that the assets referred to in paragraph (a) be deposited with a Canadian financial institution approved by the Superintendent under a deposit agreement approved by the Superintendent.
- 1999, c. 28, s. 35.
Disqualification and Removal of Principal Officers
617.1 (1) This section applies only in respect of an authorized foreign bank
(a) that has been notified by the Superintendent that this section applies to it where the authorized foreign bank is subject to measures designed to protect the interests of its depositors and creditors in respect of its business in Canada, which measures
(i) have been specified by the Superintendent by way of conditions or limitations in respect of the order approving the commencement and carrying on of business in Canada by the authorized foreign bank, or
(ii) are contained in a prudential agreement entered into under section 614.1 or an undertaking given by the authorized foreign bank to the Superintendent; or
(b) that is the subject of a direction made under section 615 or an order made under section 617.
Marginal note:Information to be provided
(2) An authorized foreign bank shall provide the Superintendent with the name of any person who has been selected by the authorized foreign bank for appointment as principal officer, together with such other information about the background, business record and experience of the person as the Superintendent may require.
Marginal note:When information to be provided
(3) The information required by subsection (2) shall be provided to the Superintendent at least 30 days prior to the date of the appointment or within any shorter period that the Superintendent may allow.
(4) If the Superintendent is of the opinion that, on the basis of the competence, business record, experience, conduct or character of a person, he or she is not suitable to hold the position of principal officer, the Superintendent may, by order, disqualify the person from being appointed to that office.
Marginal note:Risk of prejudice
(5) In forming an opinion under subsection (4), the Superintendent must consider whether the interests of the depositors and creditors of the authorized foreign bank in respect of its business in Canada would likely be prejudiced if the person were to take office.
Marginal note:Representations may be made
(6) The Superintendent must in writing notify the person concerned and the authorized foreign bank of an order that the Superintendent proposes to make under subsection (4) and must afford them an opportunity within 15 days after the date of the notice, or within any longer period that the Superintendent allows, to make representations to the Superintendent in relation to the matter.
(7) If an order is made under subsection (4) disqualifying a person from being appointed as principal officer, the person shall not be, and the authorized foreign bank shall not permit the person to be, appointed to that position.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 169.
- Date modified: