Marginal note:Exception — conditions before acquisition
716.1 (1) A bank holding company may permit any of its subsidiaries to acquire shares of the bank holding company through the issuance of those shares by the bank holding company to the subsidiary if the conditions prescribed for the purposes of this subsection are met before the subsidiary acquires the shares.
Marginal note:Conditions after acquisition
(2) After a subsidiary has acquired shares under the purported authority of subsection (1), the conditions prescribed for the purposes of this subsection must be met.
Marginal note:Non-compliance with conditions
(3) If a bank holding company permits any of its subsidiaries to acquire shares of the bank holding company under the purported authority of subsection (1) and one or more of the conditions prescribed for the purposes of subsections (1) and (2) were not met, are not met or cease to be met, as the case may be, then, despite section 665 and subsection 710(2), the bank holding company must comply with the prescribed requirements.
- 2007, c. 6, s. 111.
Marginal note:Cancellation of shares
717. (1) Subject to subsection (2), where a bank holding company purchases shares of the bank holding company or fractions thereof or redeems or otherwise acquires shares of the bank holding company, the bank holding company shall cancel those shares.
Marginal note:Requirement to sell
(2) If a subsidiary of a bank holding company, through the realization of security, acquires any shares of the bank holding company or of any body corporate that controls the bank holding company or any ownership interests in an unincorporated entity that controls the bank holding company, the bank holding company shall cause its subsidiary to, within six months after the day of the realization, sell or otherwise dispose of the shares or ownership interests.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183.
Marginal note:Reduction of capital
718. (1) The stated capital of a bank holding company may be reduced by special resolution.
(2) A bank holding company shall not reduce its stated capital by special resolution if there are reasonable grounds for believing that the bank holding company is, or the reduction would cause the bank holding company to be, in contravention of any regulation referred to in subsection 949(1) or (2) or any direction made pursuant to subsection 949(3).
Marginal note:Contents of special resolution
(3) A special resolution to reduce the stated capital of a bank holding company shall specify the stated capital account or accounts from which the reduction of stated capital effected by the special resolution will be deducted.
Marginal note:Approval by Superintendent
(4) A special resolution to reduce the stated capital of a bank holding company has no effect until it is approved in writing by the Superintendent.
(4.1) Subsection (4) does not apply if
(a) the reduction in the stated capital is made solely as a result of changes made to the accounting principles referred to in subsection 308(4); and
(b) there is to be no return of capital to shareholders as a result of the reduction.
Marginal note:Conditions for approval
(5) No approval to reduce the stated capital of a bank holding company may be given by the Superintendent unless application therefor is made within three months after the time of the passing of the special resolution and a copy of the special resolution, together with a notice of intention to apply for approval, has been published in the Canada Gazette.
Marginal note:Statements to be submitted
(6) In addition to evidence of the passing of a special resolution to reduce the stated capital of a bank holding company and of the publication thereof, statements showing
(a) the number of the bank holding company’s shares issued and outstanding,
(b) the results of the voting by class of shares of the bank holding company,
(c) the bank holding company’s assets and liabilities, and
(d) the reason why the bank holding company seeks the reduction of capital
shall be submitted to the Superintendent at the time of the application for approval of the special resolution.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183;
- 2007, c. 6, s. 112.
- Date modified: