Marginal note:Resolution in lieu of meeting
741. (1) Except where a written statement is submitted by a director under section 762 or by an auditor under subsection 853(1),
(a) a resolution in writing signed by all the shareholders entitled to vote on that resolution at a meeting of shareholders is as valid as if it had been passed at a meeting of the shareholders; and
(b) a resolution in writing dealing with all matters required by this Part to be dealt with at a meeting of shareholders, and signed by all the shareholders entitled to vote at that meeting, satisfies all the requirements of this Part relating to meetings of shareholders.
Marginal note:Filing resolution
(2) A copy of every resolution referred to in subsection (1) shall be kept with the minutes of the meetings of shareholders.
(3) Unless a ballot is demanded, an entry in the minutes of a meeting that the chairperson declared a resolution to be carried or defeated is in the absence of evidence to the contrary proof of that fact without proof of the number or proportion of votes recorded in favour of or against the resolution.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 99.
Marginal note:Requisitioned meeting
742. (1) Shareholders who together hold not less than 5 per cent of the issued and outstanding shares of a bank holding company that carry the right to vote at a meeting sought to be held may requisition the directors to call a meeting of shareholders for the purposes stated in the requisition.
(2) A requisition referred to in subsection (1)
(a) must state the business to be transacted at the meeting and must be sent to each director and to the head office of the bank holding company; and
(b) may consist of several documents of like form, each signed by one or more shareholders.
Marginal note:Directors calling meeting
(3) On receipt of a requisition referred to in subsection (1), the directors shall call a meeting of shareholders to transact the business stated in the requisition, unless
(a) a record date has been fixed under paragraph 726(5)(c) and notice of it has been given under subsection 726(7);
(b) the directors have called a meeting of shareholders and have given notice thereof under section 727; or
(c) the business of the meeting as stated in the requisition includes matters described in paragraphs 732(5)(b) to (e).
Marginal note:Shareholders’ power
(4) If the directors do not call a meeting within twenty-one days after receiving the requisition referred to in subsection (1), any shareholder who signed the requisition may call the meeting.
(5) A meeting called under this section shall be called as nearly as possible in the manner in which meetings are to be called pursuant to the by-laws and this Part.
(6) Unless the shareholders otherwise resolve at a meeting called under subsection (4), the bank holding company shall reimburse the shareholders for any expenses reasonably incurred by them in requisitioning, calling and holding the meeting.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 100.
- Date modified: