Marginal note:Court may set aside or require accounting
793. If a director or officer of a bank holding company fails to comply with any of sections 789 to 792, a court, on application of the bank holding company or any of its shareholders, may set aside the contract or transaction on any terms that the court thinks fit and may require the director or officer to account to the bank holding company for any profit or gain realized on it.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 112.
Liability, Exculpation and Indemnification
Marginal note:Director liability
794. (1) Directors of a bank holding company who vote for or consent to a resolution of the directors authorizing the issue of a share contrary to subsection 709(1) or the issue of subordinated indebtedness contrary to section 723 for a consideration other than money are jointly and severally, or solidarily, liable to the bank holding company to make good any amount by which the consideration received is less than the fair equivalent of the money that the bank holding company would have received if the share or subordinated indebtedness had been issued for money on the date of the resolution.
Marginal note:Further liability
(2) Directors of a bank holding company who vote for or consent to a resolution of the directors authorizing any of the following are jointly and severally, or solidarily, liable to restore to the bank holding company any amounts so distributed or paid and not otherwise recovered by the bank holding company and any amounts in relation to any loss suffered by the bank holding company:
(a) a redemption or purchase of shares contrary to section 715;
(b) a reduction of capital contrary to section 718;
(c) a payment of a dividend contrary to section 722; or
(d) a payment of an indemnity contrary to section 799.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 113(E).
795. (1) A director who has satisfied a judgment in relation to the director’s liability under section 794 is entitled to contribution from the other directors who voted for or consented to the unlawful act on which the judgment was founded.
(2) A director who is liable under section 794 is entitled to apply to a court for an order compelling a shareholder or other person to pay or deliver to the director any money or property that was paid or distributed to the shareholder or other person contrary to section 715, 718, 722 or 799.
Marginal note:Court order
(3) Where an application is made to a court under subsection (2), the court may, where it is satisfied that it is equitable to do so,
(a) order a shareholder or other person to pay or deliver to a director any money or property that was paid or distributed to the shareholder or other person contrary to section 715, 718, 722 or 799;
(b) order a bank holding company to return or issue shares to a person from whom the bank holding company has purchased, redeemed or otherwise acquired shares; or
(c) make any further order it thinks fit.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183.
- Date modified: