Marginal note:Annual statement — approval
841. (1) The directors of a bank holding company shall approve the annual statement and their approval shall be evidenced by the signature or a printed or otherwise mechanically reproduced facsimile of the signature of
(a) the chief executive officer or, in the event of that officer’s absence or inability to act, any other officer of the bank holding company authorized by the directors to sign in the stead of the chief executive officer; and
(b) one director, if the signature required by paragraph (a) is that of a director, or two directors if the signature required by that paragraph is that of an officer who is not a director.
Marginal note:Condition precedent to publication
(2) A bank holding company shall not publish copies of an annual statement unless it is approved and signed in accordance with subsection (1).
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 127.
Marginal note:Statements — subsidiaries
842. (1) A bank holding company shall keep at its head office a copy of the current financial statements of each subsidiary of the bank holding company.
(2) Subject to this section, the shareholders of a bank holding company and their personal representatives may, on request therefor, examine the statements referred to in subsection (1) during the usual business hours of the bank holding company and may take extracts therefrom free of charge.
Marginal note:Barring examination
(3) A bank holding company may refuse to permit an examination under subsection (2) by any person.
Marginal note:Application for order
(4) Within fifteen days after a refusal under subsection (3), the bank holding company shall apply to a court for an order barring the right of the person concerned to make an examination under subsection (2) and the court shall either order the bank holding company to permit the examination or, if it is satisfied that the examination would be detrimental to the bank holding company or to any other body corporate the financial statements of which would be subject to examination, bar the right and make any further order it thinks fit.
Marginal note:Notice to Superintendent
(5) A bank holding company shall give the Superintendent and the person seeking to examine the statements referred to in subsection (1) notice of an application to a court under subsection (4), and the Superintendent and the person may appear and be heard in person or by counsel at the hearing of the application.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183.
Marginal note:Annual statement — distribution
843. (1) A bank holding company shall, no later than 21 days before the date of each annual meeting or before the signing of a resolution under paragraph 741(1)(b) in lieu of the annual meeting, send to each shareholder a copy of the documents referred to in subsections 840(1) and (3) unless that time period is waived by the shareholder.
(2) A bank holding company is not required to comply with subsection (1) with respect to a shareholder who has informed the bank holding company, in writing, that the shareholder does not wish to receive the annual statement.
Marginal note:Effect of default
(3) Where a bank holding company is required to comply with subsection (1) and the bank holding company does not comply with that subsection, the annual meeting at which the documents referred to in that subsection are to be considered shall be adjourned until that subsection has been complied with.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 128.
- Date modified: