Marginal note:Right to attend meetings
852. (1) The auditor of a bank holding company is entitled to receive notice of every meeting of shareholders and, at the expense of the bank holding company, to attend and be heard thereat on matters relating to the duties of the auditor.
Marginal note:Duty to attend meeting
(2) If a director or shareholder of a bank holding company, whether or not the shareholder is entitled to vote at the meeting, gives written notice, not less than ten days before a meeting of shareholders, to an auditor or former auditor of the bank holding company that the director or shareholder wishes the auditor’s attendance at the meeting, the auditor or former auditor shall attend the meeting at the expense of the bank holding company and answer questions relating to the auditor’s or former auditor’s duties as auditor.
Marginal note:Notice to bank holding company
(3) A director or shareholder who gives notice under subsection (2) shall send concurrently a copy of the notice to the bank holding company and the bank holding company shall forthwith send a copy thereof to the Superintendent.
Marginal note:Superintendent may attend
(4) The Superintendent may attend and be heard at any meeting referred to in subsection (2).
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183.
Marginal note:Statement of auditor
853. (1) An auditor of a bank holding company that
(b) receives a notice or otherwise learns of a meeting of shareholders called for the purpose of revoking the appointment of the auditor, or
(c) receives a notice or otherwise learns of a meeting of directors or shareholders at which another firm of accountants is to be appointed in its stead, whether because of the auditor’s resignation or revocation of appointment or because the auditor’s term of office has expired or is about to expire,
shall submit to the bank holding company and the Superintendent a written statement giving the reasons for the resignation or the reasons why the auditor opposes any proposed action.
Marginal note:Other statements
(1.1) In the case of a proposed replacement of an auditor whether because of removal or the expiry of their term, the bank holding company shall make a statement of the reasons for the proposed replacement and the proposed replacement auditor may make a statement in which they comment on those reasons.
Marginal note:Statements to be sent
(2) The bank holding company shall send a copy of the statements referred to in subsections (1) and (1.1) without delay to every shareholder entitled to vote at the annual meeting of shareholders and to the Superintendent.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 130.
Marginal note:Duty of replacement auditor
854. (1) Where an auditor of a bank holding company has resigned or the appointment of an auditor has been revoked, no firm of accountants shall accept an appointment as auditor of the bank holding company or consent to be an auditor of the bank holding company until the firm of accountants has requested and received from the other auditor a written statement of the circumstances and reasons why the other auditor resigned or why, in the other auditor’s opinion, the other auditor’s appointment was revoked.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a firm of accountants may accept an appointment or consent to be appointed as auditor of a bank holding company if, within fifteen days after a request under that subsection is made, no reply from the other auditor is received.
Marginal note:Effect of non-compliance
(3) Unless subsection (2) applies, an appointment as auditor of a bank holding company is void if subsection (1) has not been complied with.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183.
- Date modified: