Marginal note:Contents of share certificate
87. There shall be stated on the face of each share certificate issued by a bank after the coming into force of this section
(a) the name of the bank;
(b) a statement that the bank is subject to the Bank Act;
(c) the name of the person to whom the share certificate is issued; and
(d) the number and class of shares and the designation of any series that the certificate represents.
Marginal note:Restrictions and charges
88. (1) No charge in favour of a bank and no restriction on transfer other than a constraint under Part VII is effective against a transferee of a security issued by the bank if the transferee has no actual knowledge of the charge or restriction unless it or a reference to it is noted conspicuously on the security certificate.
Marginal note:No restriction
(2) If any of the issued shares of a distributing bank remain outstanding and are held by more than one person, the bank may not restrict the transfer or ownership of its shares except by way of a constraint under Part VII.
(3) If a body corporate that is continued as a bank under this Act has outstanding security certificates and the words “private company” or “private corporation” appear on the certificates, those words are deemed to be a notice of a charge or restriction for the purposes of subsection (1).
- 1991, c. 46, s. 88;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 13.
Marginal note:Particulars of class
89. (1) There shall be stated legibly on a share certificate issued after the coming into force of this section by a bank that is authorized to issue shares of more than one class or series
(a) the rights, privileges, restrictions and conditions attached to the shares of each class and series existing when the share certificate is issued; or
(b) that the class or series of shares that the certificate represents has rights, privileges, restrictions or conditions attached thereto and that the bank will furnish a shareholder, on demand and without charge, with a full copy of
(i) the text of the rights, privileges, restrictions and conditions attached to each class authorized to be issued and to each series in so far as those rights, privileges, restrictions and conditions have been fixed by the directors, and
(ii) the text of the authority of the directors, if the directors are so authorized, to fix the rights, privileges, restrictions and conditions of subsequent series of shares.
(2) Where a share certificate issued by a bank contains the statement mentioned in paragraph (1)(b), the bank shall provide a shareholder, on demand and without charge, with a full copy of the texts referred to in subparagraphs (1)(b)(i) and (ii).
- Date modified: