Marginal note:Right to compel endorsement
109. Where a security in registered form is delivered to a purchaser without a necessary endorsement, the purchaser may become abona fide purchaser only as of the time the endorsement is supplied, but against the transferor the transfer is complete on delivery and the purchaser has a specifically enforceable right to have any necessary endorsement supplied.
Definition of “appropriate person”
110. (1) In this section, section 111, subsections 118(1), 121(4) and 126(1) and section 130, “appropriate person” means
(a) the person specified by the security or by special endorsement to be entitled to the security;
(b) if a person described in paragraph (a) is described as a fiduciary but is no longer serving in the described capacity, either that person or that person’s successor;
(c) if the security or endorsement mentioned in paragraph (a) specifies more than one person as fiduciaries and one or more of those persons are no longer serving in the described capacity, the remaining fiduciary or fiduciaries, whether or not a successor has been appointed;
(d) if a person described in paragraph (a) is a natural person and is without capacity to act by reason of death, incompetence, minority or other reason, the person’s fiduciary;
(e) if the security or endorsement mentioned in paragraph (a) specifies more than one person with right of survivorship and by reason of death not all of the persons can sign, the survivor or survivors;
(f) a person having power to sign under any applicable law or a power of attorney; or
(g) to the extent that a person described in any of paragraphs (a) to (f) may act through an agent, the person’s authorized agent.
Marginal note:Determining an “appropriate person”
(2) Whether the person signing is an appropriate person is determined as of the time of signing, and an endorsement by such a person does not become unauthorized for the purposes of this Part by reason of any subsequent change of circumstances.
111. (1) An endorsement of a security in registered form is made when an appropriate person signs, either on the security or on a separate document, an assignment or transfer of the security or a power to assign or transfer it, or when the signature of an appropriate person is written without more on the back of the security.
Marginal note:Special or blank
(2) An endorsement may be special or in blank.
Marginal note:Blank endorsement
(3) An endorsement in blank includes an endorsement to bearer.
Marginal note:Special endorsement
(4) A special endorsement specifies the person to whom the security is to be transferred, or who has power to transfer it.
Marginal note:Right of holder
(5) A holder may convert an endorsement in blank into a special endorsement.
- Date modified: