Marginal note:No shareholder requirement
161. A director of a bank is not required to hold shares of the bank.
Marginal note:Affiliated person
162. The Governor in Council may make regulations specifying the circumstances under which a natural person is affiliated with a bank for the purposes of this Act.
Marginal note:Affiliated director determination
162.1 (1) Notwithstanding section 162, the Superintendent may determine that a particular director is affiliated with a bank for the purposes of this Act if, in the opinion of the Superintendent, the director has a significant or sufficient commercial, business or financial relationship with the bank or with an affiliate of the bank to the extent that the relationship can be construed as being material to the director and can reasonably be expected to affect the exercise of the director’s best judgment.
Marginal note:Notification by Superintendent
(2) A determination by the Superintendent under subsection (1)
(a) becomes effective on the day of the next annual meeting of the persons who are entitled to elect directors unless a notice in writing by the Superintendent revoking the determination is received by the bank prior to that day; and
(b) ceases to be in effect on the day of the next annual meeting of those persons after a notice in writing by the Superintendent revoking the determination is received by the bank.
- 1996, c. 6, s. 5;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 1969.
Marginal note:Unaffiliated directors
163. (1) At the election of directors at each annual meeting of a bank and at all times until the day of the next annual meeting, no more than two thirds of the directors may be persons affiliated with the bank.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply where all the voting shares of a bank, other than directors’ qualifying shares, if any, are beneficially owned by a Canadian financial institution incorporated by or under an Act of Parliament.
Marginal note:Determination of affiliation
(3) For the purposes of subsection (1), whether or not a person is affiliated with a bank is to be determined as at the day the notice of the annual meeting is sent under section 138 and that determination becomes effective on the day of that meeting, and a person is deemed to continue to be affiliated or unaffiliated, as the case may be, until the next annual meeting of the shareholders or members, as the case may be.
(4) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of a bank that was in existence immediately prior to the day that subsection comes into force until the day that is three years after the day that subsection comes into force.
- 1991, c. 46, s. 163;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 1970.
- Date modified: