26. On the trial or hearing of any action under subsection 25(1), it is sufficient for the corporation to prove that
(a) the defendant, at the time the demand for payment was made, was or had been a member of the corporation; and
(b) the amount claimed as the subscription, penalty or otherwise was standing unpaid on the books of the corporation.
- R.S., c. B-8, s. 26.
Powers of Council
Marginal note:Meetings of council
27. (1) The council of a corporation may hold meetings and adjourn them when necessary, and may, at those meetings, transact such business as is, by this Act or by the by-laws of the corporation, assigned to the council.
Marginal note:How convened
(2) The meetings of the council shall be convened by the secretary of the corporation, at the instance of the president thereof, or on the request of any two members of the council.
- R.S., c. B-8, s. 27.
Marginal note:Powers of council
28. (1) The council of a corporation has, in addition to the powers hereby expressly conferred on it, such powers as are assigned to it by any by-law of the corporation not inconsistent with this Act.
(2) The council shall not have or be given by any by-law the power of enacting or altering any by-law or admitting any member.
- R.S., c. B-8, s. 28.
29. Five or more members of the council of a corporation constitute a quorum, and a majority of the quorum may do all things within the powers of the council.
- R.S., c. B-8, s. 29.
Marginal note:Who to preside
30. (1) At all meetings of the council of a corporation, and all general meetings of the corporation, the president, or in his absence, the vice-president, or if both are absent, any member of the council then present who is chosen for the occasion, shall preside.
Marginal note:Casting vote
(2) In all cases of equality of votes on any division, the presiding officer at a meeting of the council has a casting vote.
- R.S., c. B-8, s. 30.
Marginal note:By-laws, rules and regulations
31. (1) The council of a corporation shall frame such by-laws, rules and regulations as appear to it best adapted to promote the welfare of the corporation and the purposes of this Act, and shall submit them for adoption at a general meeting of the corporation called for that purpose.
Marginal note:Make by-laws concerning weighers
(2) The council of a corporation may make by-laws that require that every weigher employed in connection with a grain elevator within the district for which the corporation is established be licensed and take an oath to faithfully, truly and impartially execute and perform the duties of weigher, and cause any person applying to be licensed as a weigher at grain elevators to be examined as to his capacity in such manner as the council deems proper.
(3) The council may, if satisfied as to the fitness of an applicant referred to in subsection (1) to perform his duties, issue to the applicant a licence to act as a weigher.
- R.S., c. B-8, s. 31.
- Date modified: