Marginal note:Enforcement of mandatory orders
13. (1) Any order made under subsection 12(2) may be made an order of the Federal Court or of any superior court of a province and is enforceable in the same manner as an order of the court.
(2) To make an order under subsection 12(2) an order of a court, the usual practice and procedure of the court in such matters may be followed or, in lieu thereof, the Commission may file with the registrar of the court a certified copy of the order, and thereupon the order becomes an order of the court.
Marginal note:Effect of variation or rescission
(3) Where an order that has been made an order of a court is rescinded or varied by a subsequent order of the Commission, the order of the court shall be deemed to have been cancelled and the subsequent order may, in the same manner, be made an order of the court.
14. (1) The Commission may undertake, sponsor, promote or assist in research relating to any matter within its jurisdiction under this Act and in so doing it shall, wherever appropriate, utilize technical, economic and statistical information and advice from the Corporation or departments or agencies of the Government of Canada.
Marginal note:Review of technical matters
(2) The Commission shall review and consider any technical matter relating to broadcasting referred to the Commission by the Minister and shall make recommendations to the Minister with respect thereto.
Marginal note:Hearings and reports
15. (1) The Commission shall, on request of the Governor in Council, hold hearings or make reports on any matter within the jurisdiction of the Commission under this Act.
(2) The Minister shall consult with the Commission with regard to any request proposed to be made by the Governor in Council under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Powers respecting hearings
16. The Commission has, in respect of any hearing under this Part, with regard to the attendance, swearing and examination of witnesses at the hearing, the production and inspection of documents, the enforcement of its orders, the entry and inspection of property and other matters necessary or proper in relation to the hearing, all such powers, rights and privileges as are vested in a superior court of record.
Marginal note:Authority re questions of fact or law
17. The Commission has authority to determine questions of fact or law in relation to any matter within its jurisdiction under this Act.
Hearings and Procedure
Marginal note:Where public hearing required
18. (1) Except where otherwise provided, the Commission shall hold a public hearing in connection with
(a) the issue of a licence, other than a licence to carry on a temporary network operation;
(b) the suspension or revocation of a licence;
(c) the establishing of any performance objectives for the purposes of paragraph 11(2)(b); and
(d) the making of an order under subsection 12(2).
(2) The Commission shall hold a public hearing in connection with the amendment or renewal of a licence unless it is satisfied that such a hearing is not required in the public interest.
Marginal note:Where public hearing in Commission’s discretion
(3) The Commission may hold a public hearing, make a report, issue any decision and give any approval in connection with any complaint or representation made to the Commission or in connection with any other matter within its jurisdiction under this Act if it is satisfied that it would be in the public interest to do so.
Marginal note:Place of hearing
(4) A public hearing under this section may be held at such place in Canada as the Chairperson of the Commission may designate.
- 1991, c. 11, s. 18;
- 2001, c. 34, s. 32(E).
- Date modified: