Marginal note:Misleading claims — advertise or sell
10. No person shall advertise or sell a consumer product that they know is advertised, packaged or labelled in a manner referred to in section 9.
Marginal note:False or misleading information
11. No person shall knowingly provide the Minister with false or misleading information in relation to a matter under this Act or the regulations.
TESTS, STUDIES AND COMPILATION OF INFORMATION
Marginal note:Tests, studies and information
12. The Minister may, by written notice, order any person who manufactures or imports a consumer product for commercial purposes to
(a) conduct tests or studies on the product in order to obtain the information that the Minister considers necessary to verify compliance or prevent non-compliance with this Act or the regulations;
(b) compile any information that the Minister considers necessary to verify compliance or prevent non-compliance with this Act or the regulations; and
(c) provide him or her with the documents that contain that information and the results of the tests or studies in the time and manner that the Minister specifies.
PREPARING AND MAINTAINING DOCUMENTS
13. (1) Any person who manufactures, imports, advertises, sells or tests a consumer product for commercial purposes shall prepare and maintain
(a) documents that indicate
(i) in the case of a retailer, the name and address of the person from whom they obtained the product and the location where and the period during which they sold the product, and
(ii) in the case of any other person, the name and address of the person from whom they obtained the product or to whom they sold it, or both, as applicable; and
(b) the prescribed documents.
Marginal note:Period for keeping documents
(2) The person shall keep the documents until the expiry of six years after the end of the year to which they relate or for any other period that may be prescribed.
Marginal note:Keeping and providing documents in Canada
(3) The person shall keep the documents at their place of business in Canada or at any prescribed place and shall, on written request, provide the Minister with them.
Marginal note:Exemption — outside Canada
(4) The Minister may, subject to any terms and conditions that he or she may specify, exempt a person from the requirement to keep documents in Canada if the Minister considers it unnecessary or impractical for the person to keep them in Canada.
(5) A person who imports a consumer product for commercial purposes shall, no later than at the time of the product’s importation, provide the Minister with those documents referred to in paragraph (1)(b) that are specified in the regulations.
- Date modified: