4. The purpose of this Act is to implement the Agreement, the objectives of which, as elaborated more specifically through its provisions, are to
(a) establish a free trade area in accordance with the Agreement;
(b) promote regional integration through an instrument that contributes to the establishment of the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) and to the progressive elimination of barriers to trade and investment;
(c) create opportunities for economic development;
(d) eliminate barriers to trade in, and facilitate the cross-border movement of, goods and services between the territories of Canada and Costa Rica;
(e) substantially increase investment opportunities in the territories of Canada and Costa Rica;
(f) facilitate trade in services and investment with a view to developing and deepening the relations of Canada and Costa Rica under the Agreement;
(g) promote conditions of fair competition in the free-trade area established by the Agreement;
(h) establish a framework for further bilateral, regional and multilateral cooperation to expand and enhance the benefits of the Agreement; and
(i) create effective procedures for the implementation and application of the Agreement, for its joint administration and for the resolution of disputes.
Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
5. This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada.
Marginal note:Causes of action under Part 1
6. (1) No person has any cause of action and no proceedings of any kind shall be taken, without the consent of the Attorney General of Canada, to enforce or determine any right or obligation that is claimed or arises solely under or by virtue of Part 1 or an order or regulation made under Part 1.
Marginal note:Causes of action under the Agreement
(2) No person has any cause of action and no proceedings of any kind shall be taken, without the consent of the Attorney General of Canada, to enforce or determine any right or obligation that is claimed or arises solely under or by virtue of the Agreement.
Marginal note:Non-application of Agreement to water
7. For greater certainty, nothing in this Act or the Agreement applies to natural surface or ground water in liquid, gaseous or solid state.
8. For greater certainty, nothing in this Act, by specific mention or omission, shall be construed to affect in any manner the right of Parliament to enact legislation to implement any provision of the Agreement or fulfil any of the obligations of the Government of Canada under the Agreement.
IMPLEMENTATION OF AGREEMENT GENERALLY
Approval of Agreement
Marginal note:Agreement approved
9. The Agreement is hereby approved.
- Date modified: