Assented to 2002-03-27
An Act to establish a program to provide contributions for the carrying out of strategic infrastructure projects
Marginal note:Short title
2. The definitions in this section apply in this Act.
« travaux admissibles »
“eligible project” means a large-scale project for the construction, renewal or material enhancement of strategic infrastructure that is carried out, or to be carried out, by an eligible recipient.
« ministre »
“Minister” means the member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada who is designated by the Governor in Council as the Minister for the purposes of this Act.
« infrastructure stratégique »
“strategic infrastructure” means any of the following fixed capital assets that are used or operated for the benefit of the public:
(a) highway or rail infrastructure;
(b) local transportation infrastructure;
(c) tourism or urban development infrastructure;
(d) sewage treatment infrastructure;
(e) water infrastructure; or
(f) infrastructure prescribed by regulation.
Marginal note:Establishment of program
3. (1) There is hereby established a program, to be called the Canada Strategic Infrastructure Fund, the object of which is to provide for the payment of contributions to eligible recipients for the carrying out of large-scale strategic infrastructure projects that contribute to economic growth or quality of life in Canada and that advance Canada’s objectives with respect to infrastructure.
Marginal note:Public-private partnerships
(2) The Fund shall, where appropriate, promote the use of partnerships between public and private sector bodies.
Marginal note:Eligible recipients
(3) The following are eligible recipients:
(a) a province or a municipal or regional government established by or under provincial legislation;
(b) a public sector body that is established by or under provincial legislation or by regulation or is wholly owned by a province or a private sector body that is in partnership with a province or a government referred to in paragraph (a), if the body
(i) carries out or, in the opinion of the Minister, is capable of carrying out an eligible project in Canada, and
(ii) has legal capacity, or is composed of organizations each of which has legal capacity; and
(c) a private sector body that
(ii) has legal capacity, or is composed of organizations each of which has legal capacity.
Marginal note:Contribution agreements
4. The Minister may enter into an agreement with an eligible recipient to provide for the payment of a contribution for an eligible project under this Act.
5. The Governor in Council may make regulations generally for the carrying out of the purposes and provisions of this Act, including regulations
(a) prescribing other fixed capital assets for the purpose of paragraph (f) of the definition “strategic infrastructure” in section 2;
(b) defining what constitutes a large-scale project; and
(c) establishing additional terms and conditions for the Fund.
- Date modified: