Marginal note:Information already provided
50.1 For the purposes of subsection 50(1), if any information referred to in that subsection has already been provided to a department or agency of the Government of Canada, the Minister may request that department or agency to provide the information to the Minister.
- 2007, c. 19, s. 9.
Marginal note:Confidentiality of information
51. (1) Except as otherwise specifically provided in this Act or any other Act of Parliament, information required to be provided to the Minister pursuant to this Act is, when it is received by the Minister, confidential and must not knowingly be disclosed or made available by any person without the authorization of the person who provided the information or documentation, except for the purposes of a prosecution of a contravention of section 173.
Marginal note:Administrative use of information
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply so as to prohibit
(a) the communication of information to the Agency or to a minister of the Crown in right of Canada, the agent of any such minister or an officer or employee of, or adviser to, Her Majesty in right of Canada for the purposes of the administration of this Act or any other Act of Parliament or for the purposes of the development of policies;
(b) the communication of information to persons referred to in paragraph 50(1.1)(c) that is necessary for them to carry out their duties and functions;
(c) the reporting of information in an aggregated form that prevents information obtained from an identifiable person from being related to that person;
(d) the communication of information by the Minister for the purpose of monitoring the grain transportation and handling system; or
(e) the communication of information that is available to, or ascertainable by, the public.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions
(2.1) The Minister may, with the approval of the Governor in Council, make regulations respecting the terms and conditions for the communication of information referred to in subsection (2).
Marginal note:Safe and secure procedures
(3) The Minister shall ensure that the procedures and physical measures taken to ensure the confidentiality of information provided to the Minister pursuant to this Act, including the keeping of electronic data, are safe and secure.
Marginal note:Requirement for other persons to maintain confidentiality
(4) Any person who receives information from the Minister that is confidential under this Act shall not knowingly disclose that information and shall take the measures necessary to maintain its confidentiality.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 51;
- 2000, c. 16, s. 2;
- 2007, c. 19, s. 10.
Marginal note:Industry overview
52. (1) Each year before the end of May, the Minister shall, using the most current information available, prepare and lay before both Houses of Parliament a report providing a brief overview of the state of transportation in Canada.
Marginal note:Industry review
(2) Every five years, the report referred to in subsection (1) shall be expanded to a comprehensive review of the state of transportation in Canada which shall include
(a) the financial performance of each mode of transportation and its contribution to the Canadian economy;
(b) the extent to which carriers and modes of transportation were provided resources, facilities and services at public expense;
(c) the extent to which carriers and modes of transportation received compensation, indi- rectly and directly, for the resources, facilities and services that were required to be provided as an imposed public duty;
(c.1) the long term outlook and trends in transportation in Canada; and
(d) any other transportation matters that the Minister considers appropriate.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 52;
- 2007, c. 19, s. 11.
- Date modified: