Marginal note:Non-application of Part
Marginal note:Specialty service exclusion
(2) This Part does not apply to the operation of an air flight training service, aerial inspection service, aerial construction service, aerial photography service, aerial forest fire management service, aerial spraying service or any other prescribed air service.
Marginal note:Emergency service exclusion
(3) This Part does not apply to the provision of an air service if the federal government or a provincial or a municipal government declares an emergency under federal or provincial law, and that government directly or indirectly requests that the air service be provided to respond to the emergency.
Marginal note:Public interest
(4) The Minister may, by order, prohibit the provision of an air service under subsection (3) or require the discontinuance of that air service if, in the opinion of the Minister, it is in the public interest to do so.
Marginal note:Not a statutory instrument
- 1996, c. 10, s. 56;
- 2007, c. 19, s. 14.
56.1 [Repealed, 2007, c. 19, s. 15]
56.2 [Repealed, 2007, c. 19, s. 15]
56.3 [Repealed, 2007, c. 19, s. 15]
56.4 [Repealed, 2007, c. 19, s. 15]
56.5 [Repealed, 2007, c. 19, s. 15]
56.6 [Repealed, 2007, c. 19, s. 15]
56.7 [Repealed, 2007, c. 19, s. 15]
Marginal note:Prohibition re operation
57 No person shall operate an air service unless, in respect of that service, the person
(a) holds a licence issued under this Part;
(b) holds a Canadian aviation document; and
(c) has the prescribed liability insurance coverage.
Marginal note:Licence not transferable
58 A licence issued under this Part for the operation of an air service is not transferable.
Marginal note:Prohibition re sale
59 No person shall sell, cause to be sold or publicly offer for sale in Canada an air service unless, if required under this Part, a person holds a licence issued under this Part in respect of that service and that licence is not suspended.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 59;
- 2007, c. 19, s. 16.
Marginal note:Provision of aircraft with flight crew
60 (1) No person shall provide all or part of an aircraft, with a flight crew, to a licensee for the purpose of providing an air service pursuant to the licensee’s licence and no licensee shall provide an air service using all or part of an aircraft, with a flight crew, provided by another person except
Marginal note:Conditions and Ministerial directions
(2) Approval by the Agency under subsection (1) is subject to any directions to the Agency issued by the Minister and to any terms and conditions that the Agency may specify in the approval, including terms and conditions respecting routes to be followed, points or areas to be served, size and type of aircraft to be operated, schedules, places of call, tariffs, fares, rates and charges, insurance, carriage of passengers and, subject to the Canada Post Corporation Act, carriage of goods.
Licence for Domestic Service
Marginal note:Issue of licence
61 On application to the Agency and on payment of the specified fee, the Agency shall issue a licence to operate a domestic service to the applicant if
(a) the applicant establishes in the application to the satisfaction of the Agency that the applicant
(b) the Agency is satisfied that the applicant has not contravened section 59 in respect of a domestic service within the preceding twelve months.
Marginal note:Qualification exemption
62 (1) Where the Minister considers it necessary or advisable in the public interest that a domestic licence be issued to a person who is not a Canadian, the Minister may, by order, on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the order, exempt the person from the application of subparagraph 61(a)(i) for the duration of the order.
Marginal note:Statutory Instruments Act
(3) The Minister must, as soon as feasible, make the name of the person who is exempted and the exemption’s duration accessible to the public through the Internet or by any other means that the Minister considers appropriate.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 62;
- 2013, c. 31, s. 5.
Marginal note:Mandatory suspension or cancellation
63 (1) The Agency shall suspend or cancel the domestic licence of a person where the Agency determines that, in respect of the service for which the licence was issued, the person ceases to meet any of the requirements of subparagraphs 61(a)(i) to (iii).
Marginal note:Discretionary suspension or cancellation
(2) The Agency may suspend or cancel a domestic licence
(a) where the Agency determines that, in respect of the service for which the domestic licence was issued, the licensee has contravened, or does not meet the requirements of, any regulation or order made under this Part or any provision of this Part other than subparagraphs 61(a)(i) to (iii); or
(b) subject to section 64, in accordance with a request from the licensee for the suspension or cancellation.
Marginal note:Reinstatement condition
(3) The Agency shall not reinstate a domestic licence that has been suspended for sixty days or longer unless the licensee establishes to the satisfaction of the Agency that the person meets the prescribed financial requirements.
Marginal note:Notice of discontinuance or reduction of certain services
64 (1) Where a licensee proposes to discontinue a domestic service or to reduce the frequency of such a service to a point to less than one flight per week and, as a result of the proposed discontinuance or reduction, there will be only one licensee or no licensee offering at least one flight per week to that point, the licensee shall give notice of the proposal in prescribed form and manner to such persons as are prescribed.
Marginal note:Notice of discontinuance of certain services
(1.1) If a licensee proposes to discontinue its year-round non-stop scheduled air service between two points in Canada and that discontinuance would result in a reduction, as compared to the week before the proposal is to take effect, of at least 50% of the weekly passenger-carrying capacity of all licensees operating year-round non-stop scheduled air services between those two points, the licensee shall give notice of the proposal in the prescribed form and manner to the prescribed persons.
Marginal note:Discussion with elected officials
(1.2) A licensee shall, as soon as practicable, provide an opportunity for elected officials of the municipal or local government of the community of the point or points, as the case may be, to meet and discuss with the licensee the impact of the proposed discontinuance or reduction.
Marginal note:Notice period
(2) A licensee shall not implement a proposal referred to in subsection (1) or (1.1) until the expiry of 120 days, or 30 days if the service referred to in that subsection has been in operation for less than one year, after the notice is given or until the expiry of any shorter period that the Agency may, on application by the licensee, specify by order.
Marginal note:Considerations re whether exemption to be granted
(3) In considering whether to specify a shorter period under subsection (2), the Agency shall have regard to
(a) the adequacy of alternative modes of public transportation available at or in the vicinity of the point referred to in subsection (1) or between the points referred to in subsection (1.1);
(b) other means by which air service to the point or between the points is or is likely to be provided;
(c) whether the licensee has complied with subsection (1.2); and
(d) the particular circumstances of the licensee.
Definition of non-stop scheduled air service
(4) In this section, non-stop scheduled air service means an air service operated between two points without any stops in accordance with a published timetable or on a regular basis.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 64;
- 2000, c. 15, s. 3;
- 2007, c. 19, s. 17.
- Date modified: