Transmission of Mail
Marginal note:Emergency arrangements
38. (1) The Corporation may, with the approval of the Minister, make such arrangements for transmitting mail in emergencies as in its opinion are necessary in the interests of the public.
Marginal note:Duty of common carriers
(2) Every common carrier in Canada when required by the Corporation shall carry mail and duly accredited employees of the Corporation on such terms and conditions as the regulations prescribe.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 54, s. 36.
Funds Left with Corporation
39. [Repealed before coming into force, 2008, c. 20, s. 3]
Marginal note:Liability of Her Majesty, etc.
40. (1) Subject to this Act and the regulations, Her Majesty, the Minister and the Corporation are not liable to any person for any claim arising from the loss, delay or mishandling of anything posted.
Marginal note:Liability in respect of customs
(1.1) Her Majesty and the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness may be liable for any claim arising from the loss, delay or mishandling of anything posted while it is under the custody or control of a customs officer.
Marginal note:Liability of mail contractor
(2) Subject to this Act and the regulations, a mail contractor is not liable to any person, other than the Corporation, for any claim arising from the loss, delay or mishandling of any mail in the performance of his duties as a mail contractor.
Marginal note:Liability to seizure
(3) Notwithstanding any other Act or law, but subject to this Act and the regulations and to the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act, the Customs Act and the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act, nothing in the course of post is liable to demand, seizure, detention or retention.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-10, s. 40;
- R.S., 1985, c. 1 (2nd Supp.), s. 170;
- 2000, c. 17, s. 86;
- 2001, c. 41, s. 77;
- 2005, c. 38, ss. 142, 145.
Inspection of Mail
Marginal note:Inspection of mail
41. (1) The Corporation may open any mail, other than a letter, to determine in any particular case
(a) whether the conditions prescribed by regulations made pursuant to paragraph 19(1)(c) have been complied with;
(b) whether the manner prescribed by regulations made pursuant to paragraph 19(1)(e) has been adhered to; or
(c) whether the mail is non-mailable matter.
(2) The Corporation may open any undeliverable mail, including any undeliverable letters.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 54, s. 39.
- Date modified: