Marginal note:Administration of oaths
17. The Corporation may, in any case or class of cases approved by the Governor in Council, empower any officer of the Corporation to administer oaths and take and receive affidavits, declarations and affirmations for any purpose relating or incidental to the administration or enforcement of this Act or the regulations.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 54, s. 18.
Marginal note:Postal inspectors
18. The Corporation may designate any employee of the Corporation as a postal inspector with the duty to provide for the security of the officers and employees of the Corporation, the property of the Corporation and anything in the course of post.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 54, s. 19.
19. (1) The Corporation may, with the approval of the Governor in Council, make regulations for the efficient operation of the business of the Corporation and for carrying the purposes and provisions of this Act into effect, and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, may make regulations
(a) prescribing, for the purposes of this Act and the regulations, what is a letter and what is non-mailable matter and undeliverable mail, other than undeliverable letters, and providing for the disposition of non-mailable matter, undeliverable mail and mail on which sufficient postage is not paid, including the disposition of anything found therein;
(b) classifying mailable matter, including the setting of standards for any class thereof;
(c) prescribing the conditions under which mailable matter may be transmitted by post;
(d) prescribing rates of postage and the terms and conditions and method of payment thereof;
(e) providing for the reduction of rates of postage on mailable matter prepared in the manner prescribed by the regulations;
(f) providing for the refund of postage;
(g) providing for the transmission by post, free of postage, of
(i) letters, books, tapes, records and other similar material for the use of the blind, and
(ii) mailable matter relating solely to the business of the Corporation and addressed to or sent by a person engaged in that business;
(g.1) providing for a reduced rate of postage for library materials lent by a library to a borrower, including by means of an interlibrary loan;
(h) providing for the holding of mail by the Corporation at the request of the sender or addressee thereof or in any other circumstances specified in the regulations;
(i) providing for the insurance of mail and the payment of indemnity by the Corporation in case of loss of or damage to mail;
(j) [Repealed before coming into force, 2008, c. 20, s. 3]
(k) governing the design, placement and use of any receptacle or device intended for the posting, insertion, reception, storage, transmission or delivery of mailable matter;
(l) regulating or prohibiting the installation of machines for vending postage stamps, postal remittances or other products or services of the Corporation;
(m) regulating or prohibiting the manufacture, installation and use of postage meters;
(n) regulating or prohibiting the making or printing of postage stamps;
(o) governing the preparation, design and issue of postage stamps;
(p) providing for the closure of post offices, the termination of rural routes and the termination of letter carrier routes;
(q) carrying out any international postal agreement or international arrangement entered into pursuant to this Act;
(r) dealing with any matter that any provision of this Act contemplates being the subject of regulations; and
(s) providing for the operation of any services or systems established pursuant to this Act.
Marginal note:Fair and reasonable
(2) The rates of postage prescribed pursuant to subsection (1) shall be fair and reasonable and consistent so far as possible with providing a revenue, together with any revenue from other sources, sufficient to defray the costs incurred by the Corporation in the conduct of its operations under this Act.
(3) The Governor in Council may make regulations providing for the payment of compensation to the Corporation in respect of materials for the use of the blind transmitted in accordance with regulations made pursuant to subparagraph (1)(g)(i).
- R.S., 1985, c. C-10, s. 19;
- 1992, c. 1, s. 34;
- 2013, c. 10, s. 2.
- Date modified: