LEGAL POWERS OF THE AUTHORITY
Marginal note:Legal powers
9. In carrying out its mandate, the Authority has, subject to this Act, the capacity, rights, powers and privileges of a natural person.
STRUCTURE OF THE AUTHORITY
10. (1) There shall be a board of directors of the Authority consisting of eleven directors, including the Chairperson, appointed by the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Minister.
Marginal note:Directors nominated by airline industry and aerodrome operators
(2) Two of the directors must be nominees submitted by the representatives of the airline industry designated under section 11 whom the Minister considers suitable for appointment as directors, and two must be nominees submitted by the representatives of aerodrome operators designated under that section whom the Minister considers suitable for appointment as directors.
Marginal note:Tenure of directors
(3) Each director holds office during pleasure for any term of not more than five years that will ensure, as far as possible, the expiry in any one year of the terms of office of not more than one half of the directors.
Marginal note:Vacancy on board
(4) If the Governor in Council has not appointed all of the directors referred to in subsection (1) but the number appointed constitutes a quorum, the directors who have been appointed may exercise all the powers of the board.
11. The Minister may designate representatives or classes of representatives of the airline industry and of aerodrome operators to propose nominees to the Minister for appointment to the board.
Marginal note:Qualifications of directors
12. (1) The directors must be persons who, in the opinion of the Governor in Council, have the experience and the capacity required for discharging their duties and functions.
Marginal note:Persons not eligible for appointment
(2) No person may be appointed or continue as a director of the Authority who
(a) is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
(b) is a member of the Senate or House of Commons or a member of a legislature;
(c) is employed on a full-time basis in the public service of Canada or of a province; or
(d) is a mayor, councillor, officer or employee of a municipality.
Marginal note:Renewal of term
13. The Governor in Council may renew the term of office of any director for a maximum of one further term of not more than five years.
Marginal note:Part-time office
14. (1) The directors must carry out the duties and functions of their office on a part-time basis.
Marginal note:Directors’ fees
(2) The directors must be paid by the Authority the remuneration fixed by the Governor in Council for each day that they attend meetings of the board or any of its committees or perform other duties required of them as directors of the Authority.
- Date modified: