POWERS AND CAPACITY OF FOUNDATION
Marginal note:Powers and capacity of Foundation
5. (1) In order to carry out its purpose, the Foundation has the capacity and the rights, powers and privileges of a natural person and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, the Foundation may
(a) initiate, finance and administer programs and activities related to its purpose;
(b) acquire any money, securities or other property by gift, bequest or otherwise and hold, expend, invest, administer or dispose of that property, subject to any terms on which it is given, bequeathed or otherwise made available to the Foundation;
(c) expend any money provided by Parliament or any other sources for the activities of the Foundation, subject to any terms on which it is provided;
(d) undertake, support, publish and disseminate research studies, reports and other documents on its own initiative or at the request of the Minister;
(e) initiate, sponsor and support conferences, seminars and meetings;
(f) establish scholarly and professional links between the Foundation and universities, colleges and other organizations and persons interested in the Foundation’s work; and
(g) undertake any other activities that are conducive to the fulfillment of its purpose and the exercise of its powers.
Marginal note:Capacity in Canada
(2) The Foundation may carry on its activities throughout Canada.
Marginal note:Rights preserved
(3) No act of the Foundation, including any transfer of property to or by the Foundation, is invalid by reason only that the act is contrary to this Act or the by-laws of the Foundation.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Marginal note:Board of Directors
6. (1) The activities of the Foundation shall be managed by a Board of Directors consisting of a Chairperson and not more than 11 other directors to be appointed by the Governor in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister, after the Minister, taking into account the multicultural character, linguistic duality and regional diversity of Canadian society, has consulted with any governments, institutions, organizations and individuals that the Minister considers appropriate.
Marginal note:Criterium for appointment
(2) Persons appointed to the Board must have knowledge or experience that will assist the Foundation in fulfilling its purpose.
- 1991, c. 8, s. 6;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 1697.
Marginal note:Term of office
7. (1) Each director shall be appointed to hold office for a term not exceeding four years.
(2) A director is eligible for reappointment to the Board in the same or another capacity.
(3) A director who wishes to resign shall notify the Board in writing to that effect, and the resignation becomes effective when the Board receives the notice or at the time specified in the notice, whichever is the later.
- 1991, c. 8, s. 7;
- 2006, c. 9, s. 243.
- Date modified: