426. and 427. [Repealed, 1997, c. 15, s. 156]
Marginal note:Association obligation
428. (1) Where, in respect of any proposed transaction permitted by this Part, other than those referred to in section 414, an association has reason to believe that the other party to the transaction is a related party of the association, the association shall take all reasonable steps to obtain from the other party full disclosure, in writing, of any interest or relationship, direct or indirect, that would make the other party a related party of the association.
Marginal note:Reliance on information
(2) An association and any person who is a director or an officer, employee or agent of the association may rely on any information contained in any disclosure received by the association pursuant to subsection (1) or any information otherwise acquired in respect of any matter that might be the subject of such a disclosure and no action lies against the association or any such person for anything done or omitted in good faith in reliance on any such information.
Marginal note:Notice to Superintendent
429. If an association has entered into a transaction that the association is prohibited by this Part from entering into, or an association has entered into a transaction for which approval is required under subsection 421(1) without having obtained the approval, the association shall, on becoming aware of that fact, notify the Superintendent without delay.
- 1991, c. 48, s. 429;
- 1997, c. 15, s. 157.
Marginal note:Voidable contracts
430. (1) If an association enters into a transaction that it is prohibited from entering into by this Part, the association or the Superintendent may apply to a court for an order setting aside the transaction or for any other appropriate remedy, including an order directing that the related party of the association involved in the transaction account to the association for any profit or gain realized or that any director or senior officer of the association who authorized the transaction compensate the association for any loss or damage incurred by the association.
Marginal note:Time limit
(2) An application under subsection (1) in respect of a particular transaction may only be made within the period of three months following the day the notice referred to in section 429 in respect of the transaction is given to the Superintendent or, if no such notice is given, the day the Superintendent becomes aware of the transaction.
(3) For the purposes of subsection (2), a document purporting to have been issued by the Superintendent, certifying the day on which the Superintendent became aware of the transaction, shall, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, be received in evidence as conclusive proof of that fact without proof of the signature or of the official character of the person appearing to have signed the document and without further proof.
- 1991, c. 48, s. 430;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 322.
- Date modified: