Marginal note:Letters to be unopened
184. Notwithstanding any provision in any Act or regulation, where
(a) a letter written by an offender is addressed to the Correctional Investigator, or
(b) a letter written by the Correctional Investigator is addressed to an offender,
the letter shall immediately be forwarded unopened to the Correctional Investigator or to the offender, as the case may be, by the person in charge of the institution at which the offender is incarcerated.
Marginal note:Delegation by Correctional Investigator
185. (1) The Correctional Investigator may authorize any person to exercise or perform, subject to such restrictions or limitations as the Correctional Investigator may specify, the function, powers and duties of the Correctional Investigator under this Part except
(a) the power to delegate under this section; and
(b) the duty or power to make a report to the Minister under section 192 or 193.
Marginal note:Delegation is revocable
(2) Every delegation under this section is revocable at will and no delegation prevents the exercise or performance by the Correctional Investigator of the delegated function, powers and duties.
Marginal note:Continuing effect of delegation
(3) In the event that the Correctional Investigator who makes a delegation under this section ceases to hold office, the delegation continues in effect so long as the delegate continues in office or until revoked by a succeeding Correctional Investigator.
Relationship With Other Acts
Marginal note:Power to conduct investigations
186. (1) The power of the Correctional Investigator to conduct investigations exists notwithstanding any provision in any Act to the effect that the matter being investigated is final and that no appeal lies in respect thereof or that the matter may not be challenged, reviewed, quashed or in any way called into question.
Marginal note:Relationship with other Acts
(2) The power of the Correctional Investigator to conduct investigations is in addition to the provisions of any other Act or rule of law under which
(a) any remedy or right of appeal or objection is provided for any person, or
(b) any procedure is provided for the inquiry into or investigation of any matter,
and nothing in this Part limits or affects any such remedy, right of appeal, objection or procedure.
Marginal note:Acts not to be questioned or subject to review
187. Except on the ground of lack of jurisdiction, nothing done by the Correctional Investigator, including the making of any report or recommendation, is liable to be challenged, reviewed, quashed or called into question in any court.
- Date modified: