Marginal note:Application by person claiming interest for relief from forfeiture
(a) a person who is charged with, or was convicted of, a designated offence that was committed in relation to the property forfeited, or
(b) a person who acquired title to or a right of possession of that property from a person referred to in paragraph (a) under circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that the title or right was transferred from that person for the purpose of avoiding the forfeiture of the property,
may, within thirty days after that forfeiture, apply by notice in writing to a judge for an order under subsection (4).
Marginal note:Fixing day for hearing
(2) The judge to whom an application is made under subsection (1) shall fix a day not less than thirty days after the date of filing of the application for the hearing thereof.
(3) An applicant shall serve a notice of the application made under subsection (1) and of the hearing thereof on the Attorney General at least fifteen days before the day fixed for the hearing.
Marginal note:Order declaring interest not subject to forfeiture
(4) Where, on the hearing of an application made under subsection (1), the judge is satisfied that the applicant is not a person referred to in paragraph (1)(a) or (b) and appears innocent of any complicity in any designated offence that resulted in the forfeiture or of any collusion in relation to any such offence, the judge may make an order declaring that the interest of the applicant is not affected by the forfeiture and declaring the nature and extent of the interest.
Marginal note:Appeal from order under subsection (4)
(5) An applicant or the Attorney General may appeal to the court of appeal from an order under subsection (4) and the provisions of Part XXI with respect to procedure on appeals apply, with such modifications as the circumstances require, to appeals under this subsection.
Marginal note:Return of property
(6) The Attorney General shall, on application made to the Attorney General by any person who has obtained an order under subsection (4) and where the periods with respect to the taking of appeals from that order have expired and any appeal from that order taken under subsection (5) has been determined,
- R.S., 1985, c. 42 (4th Supp.), s. 2;
- 1996, c. 19, s. 70;
- 1997, c. 18, ss. 38, 140;
- 2001, c. 32, s. 23.
- Date modified: