Marginal note:Public office vacated for conviction
750. (1) Where a person is convicted of an indictable offence for which the person is sentenced to imprisonment for two years or more and holds, at the time that person is convicted, an office under the Crown or other public employment, the office or employment forthwith becomes vacant.
Marginal note:When disability ceases
(2) A person to whom subsection (1) applies is, until undergoing the punishment imposed on the person or the punishment substituted therefor by competent authority or receives a free pardon from Her Majesty, incapable of holding any office under the Crown or other public employment, or of being elected or sitting or voting as a member of Parliament or of a legislature or of exercising any right of suffrage.
Marginal note:Disability to contract
(3) No person who is convicted of
(a) an offence under section 121, 124 or 418,
(b) an offence under section 380 committed against Her Majesty, or
(c) an offence under paragraph 80(1)(d), subsection 80(2) or section 154.01 of the Financial Administration Act,
has, after that conviction, capacity to contract with Her Majesty or to receive any benefit under a contract between Her Majesty and any other person or to hold office under Her Majesty.
Marginal note:Application for restoration of privileges
(4) A person to whom subsection (3) applies may, at any time before a pardon is granted or issued to the person under section 4.1 of the Criminal Records Act, apply to the Governor in Council for the restoration of one or more of the capacities lost by the person by virtue of that subsection.
Marginal note:Order of restoration
(5) Where an application is made under subsection (4), the Governor in Council may order that the capacities lost by the applicant by virtue of subsection (3) be restored to that applicant in whole or in part and subject to such conditions as the Governor in Council considers desirable in the public interest.
Marginal note:Removal of disability
(6) Where a conviction is set aside by competent authority, any disability imposed by this section is removed.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 750;
- 1995, c. 22, s. 6;
- 2000, c. 1, s. 9;
- 2006, c. 9, s. 246.
- Date modified: