Marginal note:Publication of information about contraventions
28.3 (1) For the purpose of encouraging compliance with this Act and the regulations, the Minister shall maintain, in a registry accessible to the public, information about all convictions of corporations for offences under this Act.
(2) Information in the registry is to be maintained for a minimum of five years.
- 2009, c. 14, s. 28.
28.4 (1) The Minister shall, 10 years after the day on which this section comes into force and every 10 years after that, undertake a review of sections 24 to 28.3.
Marginal note:Report to Parliament
(2) The Minister shall, no later than one year after the day on which the review is undertaken, cause a report on the review to be tabled in each House of Parliament.
- 2009, c. 14, s. 28.
MITIGATION OF ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE
Marginal note:Pollution clean-up
29. (1) Where a substance that is capable of degrading the environment or injuring any animal, fish or plant is discharged or deposited within a marine conservation area, any person who has charge, management or control of the substance or who causes or contributes to the discharge or deposit shall take reasonable measures to prevent or mitigate such degradation or injury.
Marginal note:Powers of Minister
(2) If the Minister is of the opinion that a person is not taking measures required by subsection (1), the Minister shall direct the person to take those measures and, if the person fails to do so, the Minister may direct those measures to be taken on behalf of Her Majesty in right of Canada.
Marginal note:Expenses of clean-up
(3) A person who fails to comply with a direction given by the Minister under subsection (2) is liable for the expenses reasonably incurred by Her Majesty in right of Canada in taking the measures directed and those expenses may be recovered from that person, with costs, in proceedings brought in the name of Her Majesty in any court of competent jurisdiction.
(4) No measures may be directed to be taken under subsection (2) to prevent or mitigate any degradation or injury if action may be taken under the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, the Arctic Waters Pollution Prevention Act or the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999, to prevent or mitigate the same degradation or injury.
- 2002, c. 18, s. 29;
- 2001, c. 26, s. 322.
30. to 41. [Amendments]
- Date modified: