135.1 The purpose of this Part is to promote, in respect of the exploration for and exploitation of petroleum,
(a) safety, particularly by encouraging persons exploring for and exploiting petroleum to maintain a prudent regime for achieving safety;
(b) the protection of the environment;
(c) the conservation of petroleum resources; and
(d) joint production arrangements.
- 1992, c. 35, s. 53.
136. This Part applies in respect of the exploration and drilling for and the production, conservation, processing and transportation of petroleum in the offshore area.
- 1987, c. 3, s. 136;
- 1992, c. 35, s. 54(F).
Oil and Gas Administration Advisory Council
- 1992, c. 35, s. 55.
Offshore Oil and Gas Training Standards Advisory Board
136.2 The Provincial Minister may approve the establishment of the Offshore Oil and Gas Training Standards Advisory Board by the federal Ministers pursuant to subsection 5.5(1) of the Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act.
- 1992, c. 35, s. 55.
137. No person shall carry on any work or activity related to the exploration or drilling for or the production, conservation, processing or transportation of petroleum in the offshore area unless
(a) that person is the holder of an operating licence issued under paragraph 138(1)(a);
(b) that person is the holder of an authorization issued, before the commencement of operations, under paragraph 138(1)(b) for each such work or activity; and
(c) where it is required, that person is authorized or entitled to carry on business in the place where that person proposes to carry on the work or activity.
- 1987, c. 3, s. 137;
- 1992, c. 35, s. 56.
137.1 The Board may delegate any of the Board’s powers under section 138, 138.2, 138.3, 139.1, 139.2 or 163 to any person, and the person shall exercise those powers in accordance with the terms of the delegation.
- 1992, c. 35, s. 57.
Licences and Authorizations
Operating Licences and Authorization for Work
Marginal note:Licences and authorizations
138. (1) The Board may, on application made in the form and containing the information fixed by it, and made in the prescribed manner, issue
(a) an operating licence; and
(b) subject to section 45, an authorization with respect to each work or activity proposed to be carried on.
Marginal note:Term and renewals
(2) An operating licence expires on the thirty-first day of March immediately after the day on which it is issued and may be renewed for successive periods not exceeding one year each.
Marginal note:Requirements for operating licence
(3) An operating licence is subject to such requirements as the Board determines or as may be prescribed and to such fees and deposits as are prescribed.
Marginal note:Requirements for authorization
(4) An authorization is subject to such approvals as the Board determines or as may be granted in accordance with the regulations and such requirements and deposits as the Board determines or as may be prescribed, including
(a) requirements relating to liability for loss, damage, costs or expenses;
(b) requirements for the carrying out of environmental programs or studies; and
(c) requirements for the payment of expenses incurred by the Board in approving the design, construction and operation of production facilities and production platforms, as those terms are defined in the regulations.
Marginal note:Suspension or revocation
(5) The Board may suspend or revoke an operating licence or an authorization for failure to comply with, contravention of or default in respect of
(a) a requirement, approval, fee or deposit subject to which the licence or authorization was issued;
(b) a requirement undertaken in a declaration referred to in subsection 139.1(1) or (2);
(c) subsection 139.1(3), 139.2(2) or 163(1.1); or
(d) any applicable regulation.
- 1987, c. 3, s. 138;
- 1992, c. 35, s. 58.
- Date modified: