Marginal note:Advisory functions
147. The Board may at any time refer to the Committee for a report or recommendation any question, matter or thing arising under this Part or relating to the conservation, production, storage, processing or transportation of petroleum.
Marginal note:Enforcement of Committee orders
148. (1) Any order made by the Committee may, for the purpose of enforcement thereof, be made an order of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and shall be enforced in like manner as any order of that Court.
Marginal note:Procedure for enforcement
(2) To make an order of the Committee an order of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland, the practice and procedure established by the Provincial Act for making any order an order of that Court may be followed.
Marginal note:When order rescinded or replaced
(3) When an order of the Committee has been made an order of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland, any order of the Committee, or of the Board under section 186, rescinding or replacing the first mentioned order of the Committee, shall be deemed to cancel the order of the Court and may in like manner be made an order of the Court.
Regulation of Operations
Marginal note:Regulatory power of Governor in council
149. (1) Subject to section 7, the Governor in Council may, for the purposes of safety and the protection of the environment as well as for the production and conservation of petroleum resources, make regulations
(a) defining “oil” and “gas” for the purposes of Divisions I and II, “installation” and “equipment” for the purposes of sections 139.1 and 139.2 and “serious” for the purposes of section 165;
(b) concerning the exploration and drilling for, and the production, processing and transportation of, petroleum and works and activities related to such exploration, drilling, production, processing and transportation;
(c) authorizing the Board, or any person, to make such orders as may be specified in the regulations, and to exercise such powers and perform such duties as may be necessary for
(i) the management and control of petroleum production,
(ii) the removal of petroleum from the offshore area, and
(iii) the design, construction, operation or abandonment of pipeline within the offshore area;
(d) concerning arbitration for the purposes of subsection 138.1(2), including the costs of or incurred in relation to such arbitrations;
(e) concerning the approvals to be granted as conditions of authorizations issued under paragraph 138(1)(b);
(f) concerning certificates for the purposes of section 139.2;
(g) prohibiting the introduction into the environment of substances, classes of substances and forms of energy, in prescribed circumstances;
(h) authorizing the discharge, emission or escape of petroleum for the purposes of subsection 160(1) in such quantities, at such locations, under such conditions and by such persons as may be specified in the regulations; and
(i) prescribing anything that is required to be prescribed for the purposes of this Part.
Marginal note:Incorporation of standards or specifications
(2) Unless otherwise provided in this Part, regulations made under subsection (1) may incorporate by reference the standards or specifications of any government, person or organization, either as of a fixed time or as amended from time to time.
- 1987, c. 3, s. 149;
- 1992, c. 35, s. 63.
- Date modified: