Canada-Nova Scotia Benefits Plan
Marginal note:Definition of “Canada-Nova Scotia benefits plan”
45. (1) In this section, “Canada-Nova Scotia benefits plan” means a plan for the employment of Canadians and, in particular, members of the labour force of the Province and, subject to paragraph (3)(d), for providing manufacturers, consultants, contractors and service companies in the Province and other parts of Canada with a full and fair opportunity to participate on a competitive basis in the supply of goods and services used in any proposed work or activity referred to in the benefits plan.
Marginal note:Canadian and Nova Scotian participation
(2) Before the Board may approve any development plan pursuant to subsection 143(4) or authorize any work or activity under paragraph 142(1)(b), a Canada-Nova Scotia benefits plan shall be submitted to and approved by the Board, unless the Board waives that requirement in accordance with subsection (6).
Marginal note:Particular provisions of plan
(3) A Canada-Nova Scotia benefits plan shall contain provisions intended to ensure that
(a) before carrying out any work or activity in the offshore area, the corporation or other body submitting the plan shall establish in the Province an office where appropriate levels of decision-making are to take place;
(b) consistent with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, individuals resident in the Province shall be given first consideration for training and employment in the work program for which the plan was submitted and any collective agreement entered into by the corporation or other body submitting the plan and an organization of employees respecting terms and conditions of employment in the offshore area shall contain provisions consistent with this paragraph;
(c) a program shall be carried out and expenditures shall be made for the promotion of education and training and of research and development in the Province in relation to petroleum resource activities in the offshore area; and
(d) first consideration shall be given to services provided from within the Province and to goods manufactured in the Province, where those services and goods are competitive in terms of fair market price, quality and delivery.
Marginal note:Affirmative action programs
(4) The Board may require that any Canada-Nova Scotia benefits plan include provisions to ensure that disadvantaged individuals or groups have access to training and employment opportunities and to enable such individuals or groups or corporations owned or cooperatives operated by them to participate in the supply of goods and services used in any proposed work or activity referred to in the benefits plan.
Marginal note:Duties of Board in reviewing plans
(5) In reviewing any Canada-Nova Scotia benefits plan, the Board shall consult with both Ministers on the extent to which the plan meets the requirements set out in subsections (1), (3) and (4).
(6) The Board may, pursuant to subsection (2),
(a) subject to any directives issued under subsection 41(1), approve any Canada-Nova Scotia benefits plan; or
(b) with the consent of both Ministers, waive the requirement for any Canada-Nova Scotia benefits plan.
(7) Subject to section 6, the Governor in Council may make regulations prescribing the time and manner of submission of any Canada-Nova Scotia benefits plan and the form and information to be contained therein.
- 1988, c. 28, s. 45;
- 1992, c. 35, s. 86.
- Date modified: