Notices of Violation
Marginal note:Notice of violation
22. (1) A person who is designated for the purpose of this section may issue a notice of violation and cause it to be served on a person if they believe on reasonable grounds that the person has committed a violation.
Marginal note:Contents of notice
(2) The notice of violation must
(a) name the person believed to have committed the violation;
(b) identify every act or omission for which the notice is served and every provision at issue;
(c) set out the administrative monetary penalty that the person is liable to pay and the time and manner of payment;
(d) inform the person that they may make representations to the Commission within 30 days after the day on which the notice is served or any longer period set out in the notice, and set out the manner for making the representations;
(e) inform the person that, if they do not pay the penalty or make representations in accordance with the notice, they will be deemed to have committed the violation and that the penalty set out in the notice will be imposed; and
(f) inform the person that if they are found or are deemed to have committed a violation they may be made the subject of an order requiring them to do what this Act requires them to do, or forbidding them to do what this Act prohibits them from doing, and that the order can be enforced as an order of a court of competent jurisdiction.
Marginal note:Limitation period
23. (1) No proceeding in respect of a violation may be commenced later than three years after the day on which the subject matter of the proceeding became known to a person designated under section 14.
(2) A document that appears to have been issued by the secretary to the Commission, certifying the day on which the subject matter of any proceeding became known to a person designated under section 14, is admissible in evidence without proof of the signature or official character of the person who appears to have signed the document and is proof of the matter asserted in it in the absence of evidence to the contrary.
Determination of Responsibility
24. (1) A person who is served with a notice of violation must, in accordance with the notice, pay the penalty set out in the notice or make representations with respect to the amount of the penalty or the acts or omissions that constitute the alleged violation.
Marginal note:Deemed violation
(2) A person is deemed to have committed the violation if they either pay the penalty in accordance with the notice of violation or do not pay the penalty and do not make representations, in accordance with the notice of violation.
- Date modified: