Marginal note:Waiving or reducing interest
173. The Minister may, on or before the particular day that is 10 calendar years after the day an amount was required to be paid by a person under this Act, or on application by the person on or before the particular day, waive or reduce any interest on the amount payable by the person under section 170.
- 2002, c. 22, s. 173;
- 2006, c. 4, s. 116;
- 2007, c. 18, s. 108.
Marginal note:Statutory recovery rights
174. Except as specifically provided under this Act, the Customs Act, the Customs Tariff or the Financial Administration Act, no person has a right to recover any money paid to Her Majesty as or on account of, or that has been taken into account by Her Majesty as, duty, interest or other amount payable under this Act.
Marginal note:Applications for refunds
175. (1) An application for a refund under this Act shall be filed with the Minister in the prescribed form and manner.
Marginal note:Single application
(2) Only one application may be made under this Act for a refund with respect to any matter.
Marginal note:Payment if error
176. (1) If a person has paid an amount as or on account of, or that was taken into account as, duty, interest or other amount payable under this Act in circumstances in which the amount was not payable by the person, whether the amount was paid by mistake or otherwise, the Minister shall pay a refund of that amount to the person.
(2) A refund in respect of an amount shall not be paid to a person to the extent that
(a) the amount was taken into account as duty for a reporting period of the person and the Minister has assessed the person for the period under section 188; or
(b) the amount paid was duty, interest or other amount assessed under that section.
Marginal note:Application for refund
(3) A refund of an amount shall not be paid to a person unless the person files an application for the refund within two years after the person paid the amount.
- 2002, c. 22, s. 176;
- 2010, c. 25, s. 114.
Marginal note:Restriction on refunds, etc.
177. A refund or a payment of an amount under this Act shall not be paid to a person to the extent that it can reasonably be regarded that
(a) the amount has previously been refunded, remitted or paid to that person, or applied against an amount owed by the person to Her Majesty, under this or any other Act of Parliament; or
(b) the person has applied for a refund, payment or remission of the amount under any other Act of Parliament.
- 2002, c. 22, s. 177;
- 2007, c. 18, s. 109.
- Date modified: