289 (1) If the Minister has knowledge or suspects that a person is, or will be within one year, liable to make a payment to another person who is liable to pay an amount under this Act (in this section referred to as a “debtor”), the Minister may, by notice in writing, require the person to pay without delay, if the money is immediately payable, and in any other case, as and when the money becomes payable, the money otherwise payable to the debtor in whole or in part to the Receiver General on account of the debtor’s liability under this Act.
Marginal note:Garnishment of loans or advances
(2) Without limiting the generality of subsection (1), if the Minister has knowledge or suspects that within 90 days
(a) a bank, credit union, trust company or other similar person (in this section referred to as the “institution”) will loan or advance money to, or make a payment on behalf of, or make a payment in respect of a negotiable instrument issued by, a debtor who is indebted to the institution and who has granted security in respect of the indebtedness, or
(b) a person, other than an institution, will loan or advance money to, or make a payment on behalf of, a debtor who the Minister knows or suspects
the Minister may, by notice in writing, require the institution or person, as the case may be, to pay in whole or in part to the Receiver General on account of the debtor’s liability under this Act the money that would otherwise be so loaned, advanced or paid.
Marginal note:Effect of receipt
(3) A receipt issued by the Minister for money paid as required under this section is a good and sufficient discharge of the original liability to the extent of the payment.
Marginal note:Effect of requirement
(4) If the Minister has, under this section, required a person to pay to the Receiver General on account of the liability under this Act of a debtor money otherwise payable by the person to the debtor as interest, rent, remuneration, a dividend, an annuity or other periodic payment, the requirement applies to all such payments to be made by the person to the debtor until the liability under this Act is satisfied, and operates to require payments to the Receiver General out of each such payment of any amount that is stipulated by the Minister in a notice in writing.
Marginal note:Failure to comply
(5) Every person who fails to comply with a requirement under subsection (1) or (4) is liable to pay to Her Majesty an amount equal to the amount that the person was required under that subsection to pay to the Receiver General.
Marginal note:Other failures to comply
(6) Every institution or person that fails to comply with a requirement under subsection (2) with respect to money to be loaned, advanced or paid is liable to pay to Her Majesty an amount equal to the lesser of
(7) The Minister may assess any person for any amount payable under this section by the person to the Receiver General and, if the Minister sends a notice of assessment, sections 188 to 205 apply with any modifications that the circumstances require.
Marginal note:Time limit
(8) An assessment of an amount payable under this section by a person to the Receiver General shall not be made more than four years after the notice from the Minister requiring the payment was received by the person.
Marginal note:Effect of payment as required
(9) If an amount that would otherwise have been advanced, loaned or paid to or on behalf of the debtor is paid by a person to the Receiver General in accordance with a notice from the Minister issued under this section or with an assessment under subsection (7), the person is deemed for all purposes to have advanced, loaned or paid the amount to or on behalf of the debtor.
- Date modified: