Marginal note:Means of contestation
522. (1) The validity of the election of a candidate may not be contested otherwise than in accordance with this Part.
Marginal note:No effect on rights and obligations
(2) The making of an application to contest an election does not affect any right or obligation of a candidate in that election.
Marginal note:Nul and void election
523. The election of a person is nul and void if, under section 65, the person was not eligible to be a candidate.
Marginal note:Contestation of election
524. (1) Any elector who was eligible to vote in an electoral district, and any candidate in an electoral district, may, by application to a competent court, contest the election in that electoral district on the grounds that
(a) under section 65 the elected candidate was not eligible to be a candidate; or
(b) there were irregularities, fraud or corrupt or illegal practices that affected the result of the election.
(2) An application may not be made on the grounds for which a recount may be requested under subsection 301(2).
Marginal note:Competent courts
525. (1) The following courts are competent courts for the purposes of this Part:
(a) a court listed in subsection (2) that has jurisdiction in all or part of the electoral district in question; and
(b) the Federal Court.
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1)(a), the courts are
(a) in the Province of Ontario, the Superior Court of Justice;
(b) in the Province of Quebec, the Superior Court;
(c) in the Provinces of Nova Scotia and British Columbia, Yukon and the Northwest Territories, the Supreme Court;
(d) in the Provinces of New Brunswick, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, the Court of Queen’s Bench;
(e) in the Provinces of Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland, the Trial Division of the Supreme Court; and
(f) in Nunavut, the Nunavut Court of Justice.
Marginal note:Rules of procedure
(3) An application shall be dealt with without delay and in a summary way. The court may, however, allow oral evidence to be given at the hearing of the application in specific circumstances.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 525;
- 2002, c. 7, s. 94(E), c. 8, s. 117.
Marginal note:Security, service of application
526. (1) An application must be accompanied by security for costs in the amount of $1,000, and must be served on the Attorney General of Canada, the Chief Electoral Officer, the returning officer of the electoral district in question and all the candidates in that electoral district.
Marginal note:Increase of security
(2) The court may, if it considers it just, increase the amount of the security.
- Date modified: